Visiting city of my birth

Titch66

Thank you to everyone, your comments have been most helpful. Auckland is very different to when I arrived in the 60's so I expect change everywhere!

I think the Meadowhall shopping centre was built on the site of the steelworks where my Dad worked so that will be nostalgic albeit very very different!

I do appreciate all your input, you have helped to jog my memory dimmed by age and time!I am still fiercely proud to have been born a Yorkshire gal.

I'm sure you'll have a 'memorable' time Tich66.

My wife and I willl be travelling the 100 miles to Sheffield tomorrow to have a look around the old places etc. Always worth the effort to 'travel back in time'.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Thanks Hillsbro and Jim Hardie. It's obviously gone. At least the Education Commitee Offices on the opposite corner of Orchard Lane help to orientate it's former position for Tich66 and me. :)

Must have entered the courtyard with the Italian Restaurant on the left before the buildings on your pics. Need to retrace my steps in daylight to ascertain why I thought it was behind the Grand Hotel. :confused:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=leopold+square+sheffield+pictures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Un78U9GZO8_N7AaCxIHICQ

I think it was Leopold Square you may have come upon.

---------- Post added 26-08-2014 at 13:35 ----------

Just where in the centre of sheffield is "Beautiful"? The Gaumont/Odeon cinema building in Barkers Pool, ugly, the Manpower Services building, ugly, the Moor ugly, there isn't a decent new building in town.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=winter+gardens+sheffield+pictires&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=tn78U9-CLs_N7AaCxIHICQ

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=new+building+s+in+sheffield+pictures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=2n78U-i4Fc_N7AaCxIHICQ

Open your eyes mate !

New doesn't mean ugly - you are now in the 21st century - embrace the change and move on .

Edited by Daven

The whole of Jessops has gone, I hope someone can help you with accommodation, the City has changed for the worse I'm afraid, the City I loved has been swept away under the pretext of improvements.

Not quite true about The Jessop! The oldest part is still standing, and is now the Music Department of the University.

Whenever we go back to sheffield we usually book into the garrison hotel at Hillsborough. B&B for £59 per room. Meals in the bar good. Trams close by to visit town, meadowhall etc. Have stayed in hotels in the city but still prefer to be a bit further away.

• 4 weeks later...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Wander past the brick frontispiece of the old Jessops Hospital preserved as a monument of historical interest and wonder how cleverly the University have preserved that one wall of brick and built around it a wonderful and colourful new building. Search in vain for the Royal Hospital on West street where I had my mole removed in 1949. Stride down Ecclesall Road on an Autumn day with the leaves blowing and see the multitude of cafes and restaurants and wonder how do we find the weather and time to sit at tables on the pavement when the same cafes used to be terraced houses belching out smoke into the usually dank and rainy days of the 1950s. Like you probably, I could not get away from Sheffield fast enough in the 60s but I have spent the last 20 years making sure I settle happily back. Enjoy your stay.