Smart cards travel South Yorkshire

Well...

In the short term, ticket counterparts will be provided to enable smartcards to be accepted on vehicles without smartcard readers until they are installed later on in the project.

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/smartcard-about/

So we arent quite there yet with the paperless world we all dream of.

Stagecoach are now capable of reading these cards, both on buses and trams. Dunno about anyone else.

I've been using my Stagecoach smart card for some time now and it works fine, just load my monthly ticket on and I don't have to worry about having change for the bus.

Only snag is it takes 2 days for your ticket to load so if you forget you have to dig out change for a day until your new ticket is active. A text reminder would be really helpful so you know your card is about to run out of credit.

I've been using my Stagecoach smart card for some time now and it works fine, just load my monthly ticket on and I don't have to worry about having change for the bus.

Only snag is it takes 2 days for your ticket to load so if you forget you have to dig out change for a day until your new ticket is active. A text reminder would be really helpful so you know your card is about to run out of credit.

I keep forgetting too - however my o/h has got round this by setting up a direct debit (I think) - when you reniew again I think there is an option to "automatically renew" - he doesn't have to think about this now until 2019!

I'll be looking at this at the next renewal

Apart from that I love the card! - no faffing with money or asking every week for a pass or going to the interchange for a monthly one - brill idea!

I keep forgetting too - however my o/h has got round this by setting up a direct debit (I think) - when you reniew again I think there is an option to "automatically renew" - he doesn't have to think about this now until 2019!

I'll be looking at this at the next renewal

Apart from that I love the card! - no faffing with money or asking every week for a pass or going to the interchange for a monthly one - brill idea!

That'll be the Stagecoach Megarider Xtra pay monthly option http://www.stagecoachsmart.com/Yorkshire.aspx

---------- Post added 21-08-2014 at 14:32 ----------

Well...

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/smartcard-about/

So we arent quite there yet with the paperless world we all dream of.

Stagecoach are now capable of reading these cards, both on buses and trams. Dunno about anyone else.

Ticket machines on First, Stagecoach Yorkshire, Stagecoach Supertram, TM Travel and SCT all have smartcard readers.

Some smaller bus operators like Hulleys & Son and Powells Bus currently do not have the technology and the only train operator set up for smart in our area is East Midlands Trains (who already issue some season tickets on Stagecoach smart cards).

All smart ticketing in our area so far is just season tickets, no pay-as-you-go schemes as yet.

Some smaller bus operators like Hulleys & Son and Powells Bus currently do not have the technology and the only train operator set up for smart in our area is East Midlands Trains (who already issue some season tickets on Stagecoach smart cards).

All smart ticketing in our area so far is just season tickets, no pay-as-you-go schemes as yet.

Baby steps, right?

Seems a bit of joke according to the leaflet you still have to carry your paper ticket with you.

Thats on the offchance you go on one of the very small bus companies buses who are yet to move over, or on a train.

If you dont, then I would assume you are fine to leave the paper bit at home.