GCSE grades rise, but sharp fall in English

You could be right, but either way, failing people doesn't make people try harder, it just makes them throw the towel in, which is much easier to do.

Not true. My brother didn't do as well as he expected in one subject, so he's going to re-take it at college and is making sure he works harder and comes out with a far better result.

Not everyone is a quitter at the first setback.

They've taken the "speaking and listening" element out of the English exam...wonder if that accounts for the difference?

When I was looking at my local schools results for last year, I noticed that one school had 3% of English not their first language, whereas another school had 11%.

If we have had more immigrant children taking the GCSEs, then this would have a negative effect on grades.

Not true. My brother didn't do as well as he expected in one subject, so he's going to re-take it at college and is making sure he works harder and comes out with a far better result.

Not everyone is a quitter at the first setback.

But the best he's going to get is only a pass isn't it? Is a pass really good enough?

If we have had more immigrant children taking the GCSEs, then this would have a negative effect on grades.

You might be surprised to learn that there are plenty of schools where the opposite is the case.

Differing cultural attitudes to education may well have something to do with this.

You might be surprised to learn that there are plenty of schools where the opposite is the case.

Differing cultural attitudes to education may well have something to do with this.

I did actually look at information about this before I posted; childred that English is not their first language tend to do BETTER in GCSEs in other subjects, but worse in English.

Archived