Open register (electoral)

Council has to raise funds somehow

In deed already, and it does already by rip-off parking charges and the tickets that go with it.

I have to say that OK they probably do raise more money with the open register, but we are not "exactly customers" and they are not "exactly a business".. They are a government service and as such, our identity should be protected not exposed to anyone with money who can buy it

Any reason to think that opting out on that online form will actually lead to you being taken off the open register?

I've just done it and there seems to be zero feedback/acknowledgement.

Is there any way to check I'm not on it?

Also, to opt out requires an (obligatory) email address, given that Sheffield council are so keen to sell off our details, I don't have much faith they won't also sell off the email addresses to the nearest paying spammers.

Is anyone else as annoyed about this as I am? If so, get posting on this thread and lets pool some ideas as to how we can get it the publicity it deserves :)

And, if anyone does know how I can check if I'm really not on the damned thing, I'd really appreciate the info.

I got an email confirmation.

I think the whole secondary register idea is appalling. Many people will unwittingly not remove themselves. I think it reasonable that say facebook can sell my data as I have chosen to use their services, but the electoral register I have no choice but to use so it is morally wrong to default to my data being sold.

I also heard we have to contact our doctor's surgery so they don't sell our medical records see here for more info and download a form to opt out here

They way you voted? I'm doubtful. Have you got any evidence?

They will certainly keep a record of how they think you're going to vote based on things like what you told them last time they came canvassing at your doorstep. After all, there's no point them spending lots of resources trying to persuade you to vote for them if you either would anyway or would never do so. But none of that is a record of where you put your cross on the ballot paper.

No I don't have any proof, I only said "I am told" I didn't say it was right. BUT, my `informant` is pretty certain that each political party has their own computer that does just what you ask if I have any proof for. I shall of course make further enquiries in light of your comments and come back with the proof if I get any.

---------- Post added 22-08-2014 at 22:00 ----------

You can fix that by going to:

http://www.kitchen.co.uk/toplefthanddrawer Then select the shiny metal substance.

Wrap it tightly around your head and nobody will record your vote/ read your emails ever again.

??No comment

I got an email confirmation.

I think the whole secondary register idea is appalling. Many people will unwittingly not remove themselves. I think it reasonable that say facebook can sell my data as I have chosen to use their services, but the electoral register I have no choice but to use so it is morally wrong to default to my data being sold.

I also heard we have to contact our doctor's surgery so they don't sell our medical records see here for more info and download a form to opt out here

My Bold

Thanks Timmy ive opted out of this as well

kidley

I've not got one. How many days after taking yourself off did the email take to get to you?

Mine came immediately.

---------- Post added 23-08-2014 at 14:49 ----------

I've not got one. How many days after taking yourself off did the email take to get to you?

Check spam.

Archived