Ebola - God cured me!

None , i find some hard to understand sometimes but we are talking of a different time and culture to ours , when viewed from the right perspective and in context this can help .

That would be an acceptable excuse if you conceded that the book was written by men, as then it would be influenced by the times.

However if you're telling me the book is God's word then it shouldn't matter what culture or time it's from. Only wishy-washy anglicans who don't really believe in the old testament get to play that card.

You can't have it both ways.

Edited by flamingjimmy

Yes the bible was written by 40 different men over about 1600 years

although men wrote with their hands God inspired them.

Prophecy was at no time brought by mans will, but men spoke from

God as they were moved by holy spirit. (2 peter 1:21)

A bit like a boss dictates a letter to his secretary and then they type it up .

Yes the bible was written by 40 different men over about 1600 years

although men wrote with their hands God inspired them.

Prophecy was at no time brought by mans will, but men spoke from

God as they were moved by holy spirit. (2 peter 1:21)

A bit like a boss dictates a letter to his secretary and then they type it up .

But if all you ever see is the letter how do you know that it was dictated by the boss, it could just as easily be the word of the secretary.

Analise the letter , apply its instructions etc and see if it works . Then you will know its from a genuine source not just the secretary .

But a secretary could give you instructions that work, example, do a good deed to today and you will be rewarded, so you do the good deed and find a penny, you have been rewarded and the secretary got it right.

Yes the bible was written by 40 different men over about 1600 years although men wrote with their hands God inspired them.

Bit of a stretch. At most I'd say the belief in a God inspired them(there was no actual God dictating or narrating): they were anthropomorphising and personifying nature(including their own) and attributing those things, including events, to their imagined deity - creating stories glorifying it.

But that's not all. They were also copying from each when writing the scriptures - and even plagiarising other mythologies. Even the NT, Mark for instance, immitated & reworked Homer's The Odyssey. So you could say it was inspired by Homer.

Edited by Ryedo40

But a secretary could give you instructions that work, example, do a good deed to today and you will be rewarded, so you do the good deed and find a penny, you have been rewarded and the secretary got it right.

Some things in the bible that were written at the time

could not of been known by the actual human writer

showing inspiration from a non human source .

Try reading through chapter 2

of the bible teaching aid in the link

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/

Edited by esme
quote tags

showing inspiration from a non human source .

Try reading through chapter 2

of the bible teaching aid in the link

You do realise that noticing people get ill when they eat something that's been stored in a particular way and making up a rule saying "don't eat those things when they've been stored in that way" doesn't require divine revelation - only an ability to notice cause and effect and a desire to prevent others getting ill.

showing inspiration from a non human source.

That is an extraordinary claim, and one I suspect is untrue.

Could you give a completely unambiguous example to demonstrate it, rather than read through your church's advertising literature for myself?

That is an extraordinary claim, and one I suspect is untrue.

Could you give a completely unambiguous example to demonstrate it, rather than read through your church's advertising literature for myself?

the word of God is inspired by God and is his word .