Any Electricians out there.

Today I had to take apart a surge protector that I was using as an extension for my hedge trimmer as it was obviously badly wired. The light kept going off and back on when I moved it. I have no problem rewiring plugs ordinarily, however only the end of this piece of equipment is accessible and two of the wires were loose the important ones live and negative. As I cannot see the connections for the four sockets and the connectors I can see are not marked I was wondering if there is any way of testing to make sure it is wired properly, apart from tripping the circuit board?

Extensions are built so the main part cannot be opened, they are usually 3 metal pieces that go down the entire length of the extension, for each of the 3 connections in the sockets..

The end you can open, is where the cable comes in and attaches to those, providing that the wires are connected properly here, then there's nothing else that can be tested...

Extensions are so cheap now it's more worth buying a replacement, rather than repairing.

Archived