Why is it just Scotland that gets the vote.

Sandra is thinking about a divorce from tom. Why should tom have a say? Tom is happy, Sandra is not. Sandra has had enough of tom. ETC ETC!

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 01:37 ----------

I think that it is to make the vote interesting.

If the English got a vote, the Scots would be independent in the blink of an eye:)

Uh Hu.. why have the better together campaign? >>> Why say you will no longer have the bbc tv, The English are falling over to keep hold of Scotland! >>> fACT!!

In any bid for independence by a small region from a larger state, it is illogical to allow the larger state to vote, since in most cases that would totally obliterate the smaller region's chances of independence and defeat the object of holding the poll in the first place. It would be interesting to have held a non-binding 'rest of the UK' poll before the official Scottish one, though - if that produced an overwhelming feeling that the rest of the UK wanted Scotland to stay with us (or, alternatively, wanted them to get lost), perhaps that would influence Scots voters to make a decision which was in the interests of the whole of the UK. Or perhaps I am being optimistic!

The only rationale for allowing the larger state the vote would be if the larger state wanted to test a perceived desire in the country to be rid of the smaller one, but I can't think of an example in recent history,

Who qualifies to vote? If I'd moved to Scotland a year ago, would I be able to vote? Do Scottish people who no longer live there get to vote?

No, Scottish people living elsewhere do not get the vote, unless they are one of the following:

Answer: People who can vote in Scottish Parliamentary and local government elections will be able to vote in the referendum.

The following groups are entitled to be on the electoral register for the referendum:

•British citizens resident in Scotland.

•Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland who have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave.

•Citizens of the Republic of Ireland and other EU countries resident in Scotland.

•Members of the House of Lords resident in Scotland.

•Service personnel serving in the UK or overseas with the armed forces who are registered to vote in Scotland.

•Crown personnel serving outside the UK with HM Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.

The key difference from normal voting arrangements is that the minimum age for voting in the referendum will be 16 instead of 18. This means that people who will be 16 years old by 18 September 2014, and are otherwise eligible, can register to vote.

Taken from: http://scotreferendum.com/questions/who-can-vote-in-the-referendum/

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 10:24 ----------

Sandra is thinking about a divorce from tom. Why should tom have a say? Tom is happy, Sandra is not. Sandra has had enough of tom. ETC ETC!

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 01:37 ----------

Uh Hu.. why have the better together campaign? >>> Why say you will no longer have the bbc tv, The English are falling over to keep hold of Scotland! >>> fACT!!

No they are not. I know many, including myself, who wish to see Scotland go it alone. If they really want to be out of the Union then go ahead... it doesn't bother me, as long as they don't cherry pick their terms. Independence is just that, but it seems the SNP don't seem to understand that and want to have the trappings of the Union as well.

No, Scottish people living elsewhere do not get the vote, unless they are one of the following:

Answer: People who can vote in Scottish Parliamentary and local government elections will be able to vote in the referendum.

The following groups are entitled to be on the electoral register for the referendum:

•British citizens resident in Scotland.

•Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland who have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave.

•Citizens of the Republic of Ireland and other EU countries resident in Scotland.

•Members of the House of Lords resident in Scotland.

•Service personnel serving in the UK or overseas with the armed forces who are registered to vote in Scotland.

•Crown personnel serving outside the UK with HM Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.

The key difference from normal voting arrangements is that the minimum age for voting in the referendum will be 16 instead of 18. This means that people who will be 16 years old by 18 September 2014, and are otherwise eligible, can register to vote.

Taken from: http://scotreferendum.com/questions/who-can-vote-in-the-referendum/

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 10:24 ----------

No they are not. I know many, including myself, who wish to see Scotland go it alone. If they really want to be out of the Union then go ahead... it doesn't bother me, as long as they don't cherry pick their terms. Independence is just that, but it seems the SNP don't seem to understand that and want to have the trappings of the Union as well.

Why are the english running about like headless chickens in scotland begging for the better together campaign? Do you watch the news?!?

Why are the english running about like headless chickens in scotland begging for the better together campaign? Do you watch the news?!?

Every Scott in this area [sheffield] that I have asked the same question have without fail said they are against Independence , So it seems that ex pat communities in both parts of Great Britain think along the same lines.

Archived