Taxman to raid your bank account.

Is it right that the taxman is to be given carte blanche to raid your personal bank account, joint bank account and ISAs?

Around 17,000 people a year would have money seized under the debt recovery powers all without the need for HMRC to go to court. This will affect ordinary people while the real tax dodgers are likely to move their money offshore.

Bearing in mind the number of blunders HMRC make, the Institute of Chartered Accountants said that HMRC would inevitably make errors and that could have damaging consequences.

Also, once they have this power, what's to stop them doing what they did in Cyprus; inventing a new tax overnight, and then taking it directly from everyone's bank accounts? Theft by any other name.

There's nothing to stop them inventing that power now. Apart from being voted out of power at the next election.

There are also safeguards, such as not taking money which would reduce the remaining balance below £5000, so it's not like a mistake should plunge anyone into financial hardship (although having money incorrectly taken would be very annoying of course).

---------- Post added 27-08-2014 at 11:36 ----------

I wouldn't like to try and get my money back when they make a mistake and how do you prove a mistake without an accountant?

If you don't have an accountant then you are probably PAYE and you will never be owing HMRC any large amount and refusing to pay.

Of course it is right. Can't wait.

But the old scrounging Taxman cant steal what he cant find . ;)

---------- Post added 27-08-2014 at 12:37 ----------

Good luck getting money from my account.

Mine too............. if people are stupid enough to put their earnings in their own accounts for the thieving taxman to find they deserve to lose their hard earned.

But the old scrounging Taxman cant steal what he cant find . ;)

---------- Post added 27-08-2014 at 12:37 ----------

Mine too............. if people are stupid enough to put their earnings in their own accounts for the thieving taxman to find they deserve to lose their hard earned.

yeah keep it under yer mattress instead

*makes notes*

Is it right that the taxman is to be given carte blanche to raid your personal bank account, joint bank account and ISAs?

What's the source of this?

HMRC can already recover debt via attachments on earnings or property, so a power to attach on savings is only a new step. This new power needs to be authorised by the courts, one assumes.

However, for HMRC to tax directly from savings like they did in Cyprus - I would be profoundly against it.

What's the source of this?

HMRC can already recover debt via attachments on earnings or property, so a power to attach on savings is only a new step. This new power needs to be authorised by the courts, one assumes.

However, for HMRC to tax directly from savings like they did in Cyprus - I would be profoundly against it.

No, that's kind of the point, it doesn't have to go through court.

Archived