Who should teach 7 year olds about sex?

Isn't that also true at 8 years old, and 9 years old?

It will help him gain an understanding of basic human biology. Isn't that a good thing?

exactly true! an 8 year old probably isnt ready for the same info as a 9 year old, its judging the individual, i certainly think by 12 a child should know the basics of normal human biology.

The context being that xt500 believes that "no one should". Effectively children should not be taught by anyone at 7, which is the whole thrust of your "Who should teach 7 year olds about sex?" thread.

Yes, but the poster whom you directed to #12 was querying the value of medusa's suggestion that 7 and 8 year olds can be given a very simple (and inaccurate) version of human reproduction. In #33 I challenged that - but #12 doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

I realise that children are being further exposed to sexualised images in the media far more than when I was young, but shoudn't some effort be made to insulate children from this and allow them to develop naturally between 7 and 11, without an added sexual emphasis thrown into the school day.

Children do need this education but 7 years old does seem a little too young.

btw/

according to aa ex primary teacher I know, At 7, most students respond with "yuuuuk" at the suggestion of having a girlfriend or boyfriend:)

\

Yes, but the poster whom you directed to #12 was querying the value of medusa's suggestion that 7 and 8 year olds can be given a very simple version of human reproduction. In #33 I challenged that - but #12 doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

How can xt500 challenge it? He made a previous "no one should" unless he now believes they should but disagrees with medusa's suggestion.

Personally I didn't take medusa's suggestion quite as literally as was made. Then again medusa will be along I'm sure to clear it up.

You cannot protect children in school from what happens in the outside world. Parents are best placed to do that, and most do, fortunately. However, it will go on happening and they will be exposed to it. The best you can do is help them protect themselves against those aspects of the outside world which frighten or confuse them.

Making sex a taboo subject is not helping them.

---------- Post added 28-08-2014 at 15:28 ----------

How can xt500 challenge it? He made a previous "no one should" unless he now believes they should but disagrees with medusa's suggestion.

Personally I didn't take medusa's suggestion quite as literally as was made. Then again medusa will be along I'm sure to clear it up.

Sorry - you've lost me completely now! Except that I can't see how medusa's suggestion (about how to explain where babies come from) can be taken in any other way than literally. How else could it be taken?

Archived