Instructor accidentally killed by 9yr old girl with sub-machine gun

So hang on - you are not going to let them use a firearm (primarily used for hunting and war) but you will let them use a bow (primarily used for hunting and war) and an arrow injury from a starting bow is much more lethal than from a starting rifle.....

Like it or not, there is no difference between archery and firearm shooting, despite what the gutter press have been telling you.

I agree that it is equally unpleasant to be speared by an arrow or shot by a machine gun. In my view, archery is the lesser of two evils as a cultural activity in that it is an archaic form of target practice and doesn't have quite the same association these days with mass murder, war and gratuitous violence as guns do. I would prefer a 9 year old not to do either.

Nobody has yet explained what possible useful purpose gun-training for children can have since all it seems to do is make them good at hitting a target and thus preparing them for a life of shooting things (or people). As a sport? There are hundreds of other sports which make them physically better co-ordinated, but don't involve a mentality which values hitting and killing, or pretending to kill, a target.

I understand that some parents might want their kids to be able to shoot animals (on farms, when hunting, etc) but I think 9 is too young. Just my view. No point in coming back and ranting at me - I'm just answering your question. There is absolutely no obligation to agree with me and I'm sure you won't.

On the contrary. I have huge faith in children. it's the adults in charge of them I worry about :)

I walked to school unaccompanied at the age of 7, too, but everything I have read on the subject suggests that many 7 and even 8 year old brains are not neurologically fine-tuned enough to cope with fast traffic, so it should not be assumed they will be able to cross safely by waiting for a gap. I am sure that if they are trained to cross only at a pelican type crossing, with lights, etc, they will be fine. But they shouldn't really be allowed to cross roads where there are no crossings, at that age.

My experience tells me otherwise.

Or perhaps the Scouts under your leadership have amazingly advanced powers in this respect.

No, they just have Leaders with a little faith in them.

---------- Post added 28-08-2014 at 14:19 ----------

Is that so?

Yes that is is if you bothered to read the discussion, which of course you didn't.

Everyone being different they want to do different things, some want to climb trees, mountains, swim in the sea, canoe down rapids, ride a motor bike, shoot a gun, but all these and many more activities carry the risk of being injured or killed. All the activities can be done safely if the right precautions are taken, the shooting was simply down to incompetent instruction just as someone can fall of a rock face if they have an incompetent instructor.

You are still missing the point. It is not simply about Health and Safety.

I agree that it is equally unpleasant to be speared by an arrow than shot by a machine gun. Archery is the lesser of two evils in that it is an archaic form of target practice and doesn't have quite the same association these days with mass murder, war and gratuitous violence as guns do. I would prefer a 9 year old not to do either.

Nobody has yet explained what possible useful purpose gun-training for children can have since all it seems to do is make them good at hitting a target and thus preparing them for a life of shooting things (or people). As a sport? There are hundreds of other sports which make them physically better co-ordinated, but don't involve a mentality which values hitting and killing, or pretending to kill, a target.

I understand that some parents might want their kids to be able to shoot animals (on farms, when hunting, etc) but I think 9 is too young.

It's fun. Children like having fun

It teaches mental and physical discipline, patience, good coordination

It's a good teambuilding opportunity, especially for physically disabled shooters.

It also teaches a responisble attitude to firearms and reduces the likelhood of children actually misusing firearms.

It teaches them the difference between a computer game and the real thing.

On the contrary. It just makes them think that they can do the things they see in video games with equal impunity (ie nobody is really killed, most of the time, anyway) but they become hooked on the 'point, press and eliminate' thrill.

Archived