Instructor accidentally killed by 9yr old girl with sub-machine gun

Your population size is also about a fifth of the US and your demographics and culture (despite considerable immigraion into the UK in 50 years) is also completely different form that of the US.

The British ingrained belief that firearms ownership should never be allowed the civilian population dates back well over two hundred years to a time when when social unrest was spreading across Europe following the French revolution.

Too many people seem to have the idea in their head that because the US shares a common language with Britain and the Commonwealth that it should also be similar in many other ways. Just not true... no similarity at all

I wouldn't say that there isn't one American culture, but lots of different American cultures. The traditional American WASP culture must surely have similarities to some of out our culture here in the UK.

I said the rate was 5 times higher in the USA. That isn't linked at all to the size of the population.

Yes, our culture is different. We don't let anyone get their hands on guns.

You've had a lot of immigration too. But most of your mass murderers are white Americans;

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/20-deadliest-mass-shootings-in-u-s-history-fast-facts/

Hardly true. While gun related crimes in the UK remain low compared to the US guns are in fact around when crimes take place, something that didnt happen 50 years ago.

I'll bet I could get a hand gun in the UK in the right place and with the right amount of money on hand. Like the US some of the inner cities in the UK where people are unemployed and living on the edge of near poverty drug dealing is a common place occurence and drug dealers protect their patches and you know as well as I do that such protection requires a gun. Nothing near on the scale of the US of course but dont tell me that "we dont allow anyone to get their hands on guns" That may be true if you apply for a gun at a local police station but there are other ways to circumnavigate such restrictions

I think she meant 'gesticulation'. A Freudian slip, perhaps!
No Alice, I did mean testiculation.

Or 'posting b*ll*cks', for people with little spirit/humour ;)

What am I talking about, firemanbob? I'm just clearing up some of your testiculating on this thread, that's all :)

No Alice, I did mean testiculation.

Or 'posting b*ll*cks', for people with little spirit/humour ;)

What am I talking about, firemanbob? I'm just clearing up some of your testiculating on this thread, that's all :)

I have no idea what you think you have cleared up because you are making very little sense.

At firemanbob, you are rationalising this rather finely, can you now explain why a nine year old girl should learn to shoot an Uzi?

I look forward with interest to an answer to this question...

edited; well, that was a dull answer wasn't it?

I wouldn't say that there isn't one American culture, but lots of different American cultures. The traditional American WASP culture must surely have similarities to some of out our culture here in the UK.

The traditonal WASP culture seems to be a disappearing species. There's nothing WASP in most of the largest cities. Already in California non-Euro people combined as a whole outnumber whites by 52 to 48 and by 2050 it's estimated that the population nationally will be around the same.

As far as Americans of European descent are concerned they dont think anything like their distant cousins in Britain or the rest of Europe. Completely different species in outlook and ideas

Archived