New Anchorage bar at West One

taxman

the whole pseudo-craft thing kinda ****** me off - first time I fell for it was when Blue Moon first came out - only found out after paying for it that it was brewed by the evil Coors and passed off as craft. And yes, buying 'American craft beers' and then finding out they're brewed by Marstons would annoy me too - nearly made that mistake recently!

but, if they're gonna have Wild Schnoodlepip on draft as well as Weird Beard stuff, they're all right by me

2/3 though? FFS, bloody Brewdog... if a beer is 'too intense' to have a pint, what's wrong with a half? Surely it can't be a marketing ploy to enable them to charge pint prices for less than a pint... ;)

I had two thirds of the Weird Beard Decadance Stout, was very good, however the barman was reluctant to serve a half as there was no button on the till for that...

Hmm... not quite sure I agree with that last comment SCA. There are some times when 2/3 is just right. And even 1/3.

totally agree with the third for strong beers, or even if there's just loads of beers on that you want to try. I just honestly can't think of a time when I've ever thought a beer didn't warrant a pint but that a half isn't enough. What next, the 5/6 of a pint...

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 12:20 ----------

For example I went in Sheffield Tap a couple of weeks back and they had an apparently quite rare and reasonably strong beer on offer - at £7.50 a half! I asked if it was available in 1/3s and got a curt 'no' and so they did too.

Wasn't prepared to thrown that much money at a beer I didn't know, but would have been tempted with £5 maybe.

what beer was that?! I've never seen a beer in there go into double digits (not quite...)

Definitely think thirds should be an option for that sort of beer though. In the same vain, I get quite annoyed at how many bottled beers (especially American ones) now come in 750ml bombers. Again, if the bottle is smaller, and I want more, I can buy two. It's quite hard to buy half a bottle!!

totally agree with the third for strong beers, or even if there's just loads of beers on that you want to try. I just honestly can't think of a time when I've ever thought a beer didn't warrant a pint but that a half isn't enough. What next, the 5/6 of a pint...

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 12:20 ----------

what beer was that?! I've never seen a beer in there go into double digits (not quite...)

Definitely think thirds should be an option for that sort of beer though. In the same vain, I get quite annoyed at how many bottled beers (especially American ones) now come in 750ml bombers. Again, if the bottle is smaller, and I want more, I can buy two. It's quite hard to buy half a bottle!!

I honestly can't remember what beer it was. I certainly had never heard of it, and probably wouldn't have given it a second look had it not had loads of 'extremely rare' gumph all over it. I don't think it was that strong either - from memory I'm going to say arounf 11% And considering I'd already had the Mikkeller Black in Brewdog at 18% (and a fiver a third) I really didn't want any more than that.

When I went in last night the beer had gone tho - replaced by Victory DirtWolf at a mere £4.10 a half...

Anything around 5.5-7% is just right at 2/3. A pints too much (in a session) and a third isn't enough.

I'm not really bothered about the price as long as it come out below 4 quid for a couple of units of alcohol.

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 12:52 ----------

the whole pseudo-craft thing kinda ****** me off - first time I fell for it was when Blue Moon first came out - only found out after paying for it that it was brewed by the evil Coors and passed off as craft.
I hear what you are saying but the UK brewed Sam Adams is better than the US one. More depth.

Always backing a loser in Blue Moon though. It is and always has been gash in whatever incarnation.

Anything around 5.5-7% is just right at 2/3. A pints too much (in a session) and a third isn't enough.

fair enough. I'm generally happy with a half in those situations

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 13:03 ----------

I hear what you are saying but the UK brewed Sam Adams is better than the US one. More depth.

dunno where that's brewed, Sheps IIRC? No reason why US beers brewed here should be worse than back home - British breweries aren't inherently worse than American ones. Marstons are though!

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 13:04 ----------

Always backing a loser in Blue Moon though. It is and always has been gash in whatever incarnation.

Precisely. always been cr@p, but the packaging passes it off as craft beer (without actually using the word 'craft' as it's legally defined in America in a way it isn't here)

dunno where that's brewed, Sheps IIRC? No reason why US beers brewed here should be worse than back home - British breweries aren't inherently worse than American ones. Marstons are though!
Shepherds Neame? Working from a recipe (& assuming same ingredients) it should be the same.

The problem with pretty all the big UK brewers is that they play it far too safe.

Whenever they have a go at making something for a supermarket own label (be it M&S/Tesco/Morrison/Sains) its usually pretty decent even if not quite worth shouting about. It's their own label stuff where they just churn out some fuggle infused slop.

Shepherds Neame? Working from a recipe (& assuming same ingredients) it should be the same.

The problem with pretty all the big UK brewers is that they play it far too safe.

Whenever they have a go at making something for a supermarket own label (be it M&S/Tesco/Morrison/Sains) its usually pretty decent even if not quite worth shouting about. It's their own label stuff where they just churn out some fuggle infused slop.

You're right - British brewers aren't inherently worse at all, as proved by some of the new craft crop. But a lot of the older established breweries are simply set in their ways. I remmeber one of the American brewers who came across to Batemans (I think it was) to brew a special for the Wetherspoon fest said that the brewers there just stood an scratched their heads incredulously when he kept telling them to add more hops!

And by the way - fuggle infused slop - great term. Can I use that one please? :c)

You're right - British brewers aren't inherently worse at all, as proved by some of the new craft crop. But a lot of the older established breweries are simply set in their ways. I remmeber one of the American brewers who came across to Batemans (I think it was) to brew a special for the Wetherspoon fest said that the brewers there just stood an scratched their heads incredulously when he kept telling them to add more hops!

And by the way - fuggle infused slop - great term. Can I use that one please? :c)

funnily enough we had an American brewer over to brew with us a couple of weeks back. He gave a spiel about how sorry, but this beer is gonna cost us a lot cos it's gotta have so many hops in it... think he was a bit taken aback when I looked at his recipe and said I was gonna want to use 50% MORE hops! :evil: