Price of a pint

Absolutely spot on Hillsbro.
I remembered the prices as I happened to go to Cornwall in April 1967. While there I was pleasantly surprised to find that a pint in a pub cost 1s 7d - the same as a pint at the Dial House, while it was 1s 10d in my local (the Castle in Dykes Hall Road). So beer in Cornwall pubs was 3d a pint cheaper than in Sheffield. I almost decided to stay another week..:P

Can't be specific about stones

In the 'Wop' in sheffield 16p a pint a bitter in 1972-3

In our local it was about 14p

In working men's clubs in Durham in 1975 we used to ask for pint of mixed I remember being surprised at how much cheap it was than in a sheff pub.

two bitters were on offer 12p a pint for one and 14p a pint for the other 13p for the mixed.

Guessing it would be a little less between the dates you mention but not much, big brewery and tax man price hikes didn't start till a good few years after that.

Found this:

In 1952 the average weekly wage was £7.50 compared to £500 now. A pint of beer then cost 9 pence compared to £2.60 now so it took you twice as long to earn the price of a pint… - See more at: http://www.beergenie.co.uk/beer-occasions/jubilee-history/?age-verified=44ff307055#sthash.eHeujZW0.dpuf

http://www.beergenie.co.uk/beer-occasions/jubilee-history/?age-verified=44ff307055

Agree with those prices. If we were short of money we would go in the tap room for a pint of Tetleys at 13p a pint. In the lounge it was 15p.

If a pint costs £3.00 now then that's approx 20 times the cost in the early 1970's. I was earning £16.00 per week in those days which equates to £320.00 today. I earn more now but somehow feel I was better off in the 1970's in more ways than one.

In 1975 the price of a pint of stones was 16p then it went up drastically the following year to 24p a pint.

I remember everyone being in shock with such a big rise.

That was probably why I stopped drinking Stones until one dinnertime when I was sat in the top room at The Dial with my dad and someone asked what we were drinking. When we told him it wasn't Stones he bought us a pint of Stones each and then another. He was a rep. for Stones and got us drinking Stones again.

I remember a pint of Stones being 1/9d a pint in 1966-ish or was it Bass Charrington's at that time? The same price as a Packet of 10 No.6 cigs. and a cheep fish supper on the way home for a couple of bob!. (brill)

Edited by yorky15

I remember a pint of Stones being 1/9d a pint in 1966-ish or was it Bass Charrington's at that time? The same price as a Packet of 10 No.6 cigs. and a cheep fish supper on the way home. (brill)

Still Stones in them days. The other thing I remember is all the pints around town were pretty much on a par for price except Whitbread/Tennants which was always a few pence more.

A pint a packet of fags and a fish supper these days would set you back about £12.

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 20:36 ----------

I have an advert from about 1890 when regular session beer was around 1/- per gallon.

Still Stones in them days. The other thing I remember is all the pints around town were pretty much on a par for price except Whitbread/Tennants which was always a few pence more.

A pint a packet of fags and a fish supper these days would set you back about £12.

When did Bass take Stones over?