Bicycle Weight Capacity

Morts

How can I tell a bicycle's weight capacity?

I ride an Orbea but the thought of it being crushed to death whilst riding down a hill is not something I like to think about!

Some of the modern bikes have so few spokes-that must surely limit a riders weight.

I heard Martin Johnson interviewed after the Ride London event and he says he now weighs 115kgs- the interviewer said 125kgs would be the accepted limit to ride.

How do you know the limit - it's not shown in any manuals or on the bike itself?

Thanks Sharpend. Apart from riding the bike I, as probably lots of others, know diddly squat about maintenance, let alone the physics of a bike. I come in at 95kgs but as each bike is different I just would have thought that there would have been a weight guide somewhere.

I also ride an Orbea and its getting old like me but at 62kg my bike was built for me and never had an issue and I hit a spot on my training circuit at very high speed and it shakes the bones out of me if I hold the bike to hard so I tend to slacken off the bars a bit come off the seat and it flows across the rough spot like a touring bike, it is how you handle it

Thanks Sharpend. Apart from riding the bike I, as probably lots of others, know diddly squat about maintenance, let alone the physics of a bike. I come in at 95kgs but as each bike is different I just would have thought that there would have been a weight guide somewhere.

I know little about the physics of a bike other than that they are really clever...

You will be fine..

Archived