The Sheffield Whale

Jon

Someone mentioned to me the great blue whale 'Jonah' had sailed onto this site. Anyone doubting this monster visited Sheffield... well its true. And if you actually saw him you aren't mad and weren't dreaming . Jonah was a 70ft 70 ton blue whale that toured the UK for almost 20 years ona 100ft lorry. He was landed off Trondheim in 1952, toured Europe, then crossed the channel.

I've just spend 3 years tracking down his story and writing a book (The Barnsley Whale - the true story of the world's firsat inland whale hunt) about this wierd phenomena that most people don't believe happened...

For the full story see http://www.bigwhaleonalorry.com

• 6 months later...

remember seeing it on the moor as a child many years ago,there was als a chip shop just off the moor with a monkey in the out house you could buy nuts for a half penny to feed it through the bars..sorry cant help with the yeat the whale was on show but it was a vwry long time ago,outside the travellers rest pub i think

• 3 months later...

Reminds me of the time (here we go again) in the early 70’s when a bloke from Barnsley stopped me on Pinstone Street and asked me where the whale was.

“What whale?” I asked.

“The one at the bottom of the Moor,” he replied.

“I’ve just come from the bottom of the Moor, and I can assure you there’s no whale there” I said.

Looking confused, he went on, “I’ve just come all the way from Barnsley to see the whale. Where is it?”

“I’m telling you,” I pointed out firmly, “there’s no whale at the bottom of the Moor. I’ve just come from there, so I should know!”

“But I’m neglecting my ferrets to see the whale! It MUST be there.”

I was by now losing my patience.

“Do I have to spell it out to you?” I ranted, “THERE IS NO ‘W, H, A, F, L, E’. Now sod off!”

“And I thought us Barnsley folk were thick,” he said gloatingly, “There’s no ‘F’ in whale!”

“And that’s exactly what I’ve been trying to tell you for the past five minutes!”

I remember something like a whale, or shark where you entered the mouth and walked through the tail when I was a kid in the mid to late 70s. It was on the peace gardens, behind the row of bus shelters. On the grass. I think it was some kind of exhibition or display. It looked quite scary and I had bad dreams about it afterwards.