Question about Cat C cars.

I've just entered the reg of a Cat C (insurance write-off) car, in to go compare; and it's returning quotes pretty much identical to other similar (not Cat C) cars. If the insurance company, doesn't explicitly ask (in the forms I fill in to get my quote etc) if the car is a Cat C, do I have to tell them?

Also, if they don't ask, and I don't volunteer the information; would that invalidate my cover?

Thanks!

---------- Post added 30-08-2014 at 23:27 ----------

I don't really understand what the catch is with Cat C / Cat D cars. I thought it would be that the insurance is higher? I thought they'd know a car's status through it's registration number, is that not the case?

Be careful, some of the small print may state that they won't cover written off cars, despite the fact they (as you say) could tell from the register number. You don't want to find that out when you need to make a claim.

Swift didn't in the past, others may insist on an engineers report if you volunteer the information.

Why would you expect to pay more or be treated differently for a cat C car? are they faster?

No of course they arnt,so the premium will be the same.What will alter though is if something happens,then the pay out for that vehicle will be less.Of course that will be expected as its worth less and will cost less.

Why would you expect to pay more or be treated differently for a cat C car? are they faster?

No of course they arnt,so the premium will be the same.What will alter though is if something happens,then the pay out for that vehicle will be less.Of course that will be expected as its worth less and will cost less.

cat c and d cars have been involved in an incident and have been written off by the insurance company because the cost of repairs is not proportional to the insurance value of the car.

the worry with vehicles such as these are that the damage turns out to be far more extensive and the vehicle is dangerous to drive.

to the op, I'd be tempted to tell the insurance company just to be on the safe side.

Yep, you only need a VIC check and an MOT to put the car back on the road.

You don't need a full inspection of the repair work, and while many cars have been repaired very well there is always the worry that someone has bodged one back together and put it back on the road.

I once enquired about a car which was a Cat 'C' repair (it was at a garage)....The fella was quite upfront about what it was, the level of damage etc...He even showed me the original damaged part. So I checked on the internet, and the more I looked into it, the more confusing it seemed to be. There were all sorts of conflicting things said about Cat C cars...and all sorts...ranging from don't touch it with a bargepole to it's fine, I've had one for years and no problems at all. Eventually I decided against it, as it was a bit of a minefield (in my view).....BUT...Had I gone ahead with it, I wouldn't have dreamed of not telling the insurance company.

cat c and d cars have been involved in an incident and have been written off by the insurance company because the cost of repairs is not proportional to the insurance value of the car.

the worry with vehicles such as these are that the damage turns out to be far more extensive and the vehicle is dangerous to drive.

to the op, I'd be tempted to tell the insurance company just to be on the safe side.

Why is it some numpties want to give you an explanaition of something you already know.I could understand it if it was my thread but its not!!

I know exactly WHY cars are cat C or D or any other group but thanks alot for taking the time to look down on me.

Any vehicle with extensive damage will be in a group that needs an inspection,so dont WORRY yourself too much!

Aye, cat A + B are not to be put back on the road, they should be scrapped.

B + C can be returned to the road, after repair and inspection.

Angel1

I just bought a damaged car, but not in any scrapped catagories. Only cost me £215 from ebay, MOT £140, bargain. Just small damage to the rear bumper/tailgate and a different coloured door.

Archived