Fed up with European directives?

They're going to be using less powerful equipment to do the job, which isn't desirable is it?

A less powerful engine does not automatically mean a less powerful vacuum cleaner though does it. The car analogy holds here, the biggest engine doesn't produce the fastest car.

They're going to be using less powerful equipment to do the job, which isn't desirable is it?

that depends on whether or not the less powerful equipment is more or less efficient than the existing equipment.

rather than whining about the change, we should be using this as an opportunity to build a better, lower powered equipment so earning lots of dosh and rebuilding the uk's manufacturing base.

A less powerful engine does not automatically mean a less powerful vacuum cleaner though does it. The car analogy holds here, the biggest engine doesn't produce the fastest car.

The likes of Dyson, Vax and Babyliss etc surely always strive to do more with less, but it seems this isn't good enough and the wattage needs to be even lower, regardless of effects on performance! so while nuclear power stations are appearing left right and centre in China and India, the EU fusses about the wattage of our vacuum cleaners. :loopy:

that depends on whether or not the less powerful equipment is more or less efficient than the existing equipment.

rather than whining about the change, we should be using this as an opportunity to build a better, lower powered equipment so earning lots of dosh and rebuilding the uk's manufacturing base.

That's what James Dyson did...Built a company...then took the lot to the far east when it was up and running....I worked for a company that supplied Dyson and it was quite a severe blow when he pulled the carpet from under everyone....All hail Mr Dyson. What a jolly good fellow!

But that's another story for another time....:)

The likes of Dyson, Vax and Babyliss etc surely always strive to do more with less, but it seems this isn't good enough and the wattage needs to be even lower, regardless of effects on performance! so while nuclear power stations are appearing left right and centre in China and India, the EU fusses about the wattage of our vacuum cleaners. :loopy:

You do know that Dyson aren't happy with the proposals, they complain that they don't go far enough. It is a shame that all manufacturers don't follow the innovation road, and would rather just carry on sticking large inefficient engines into their vacuum cleaners.

---------- Post added 02-09-2014 at 17:42 ----------

That's what James Dyson did...Built a company...then took the lot to the far east when it was up and running....I worked for a company that supplied Dyson and it was quite a severe blow when he pulled the carpet from under everyone....All hail Mr Dyson. What a jolly good fellow!

Maybe he had to keep his company competitive? He claimed that any money made from the move was put back into research.

You do know that Dyson aren't happy with the proposals, they complain that they don't go far enough. It is a shame that all manufacturers don't follow the innovation road, and would rather just carry on sticking large inefficient engines into their vacuum cleaners.

Isn't the 'bagless' design supposed to be the most efficient design though?

I thought that Dyson had the bagless cleaner market more or less to themselves because they had exclusive patents on everything to do with bagless cleaner design...

... (waits to be corrected)

If that's the case then surely it's in their own interest to want even stricter rules, thereby reducing their competition even further.

I had a British made Dyson for many years and when it died I replaced it with a Malaysian built one. That one was sent back after the Dyson engineer, sent to investigate my complaint and fix it, told me any repair by him would not fix the design fault. I bought a German Sebo, an excellent machine.

---------- Post added 02-09-2014 at 17:42 ----------

Maybe he had to keep his company competitive? He claimed that any money made from the move was put back into research.

I just wonder why his vacuum cleaners are substantially more expensive than comparable cleaners? When his operating cost are significantly less (otherwise why move the operation to the far east?)

I just wonder why his vacuum cleaners are substantially more expensive than comparable cleaners? When his operating cost are significantly less (otherwise why move the operation to the far east?)

You're buying a brand when you buy a Dyson, and I suppose most people wont e aware that they move operations to the far east.

Archived