Fed up with European directives?

If they want to save energy they could start by not launching satellites into the wrong orbit.

To be fair I don't think that this was a deliberate policy. :hihi:

---------- Post added 01-09-2014 at 11:58 ----------

As I said above....that only applies, if you have a choice of whether you buy that commodity or not....We don't have a choice.

Rubbish. We have a choice as to how much we buy, and who we buy it off. If only there was an organisation trying to make it possible for us to buy less electricity.

No but we could become more efficient, and buy less. Anyway this is getting confusing as you were talking about OPEC controlling prices a couple of post after talking about how supply and demand would control prices.

Maybe my use of the phrase 'supply and demand' wasn't the best choice...I'll concede that!

Yes I agree if you're walking down a high street and see something to buy and it's too expensive, then you won't buy it....If they reduce the price, then maybe you might....So in that instance, your premise is absolutely correct.

But that doesn't apply where you don't have a choice whether to buy it or not.

As I said above....that only applies, if you have a choice of whether you buy that commodity or not....We don't have a choice.

We have a choice as to how much we use..... if there's a high demand for a commodity it's price increases and the opposite is true...

We have a choice as to how much we use.....

Do we?....We use less, so it will get cheaper? Someone above mentioned EU rulings forcing car manufacturers to produce more fuel efficient cars....Great!!!...Have you noticed the cost of fuel going down as a result?...Cos if you have, it's escaped me!

You do though these days. You could get solar panels on your roof, a windmill in the back garden and a ground heat pump thing, the combination of which would mean you might even end up selling electricity to the grid overall rather than buying.

Until we as a country admit we need to build some new power stations, and we agree to let them be built rather than forcing them to spend decades doing public enquiries into whether we actually need them or not, we're going to have to become more energy efficient.

Do we?....We use less, so it will get cheaper? Someone above mentioned EU rulings forcing car manufacturers to produce more fuel efficient cars....Great!!!...Have you noticed the cost of fuel going down as a result?...Cos if you have, it's escaped me!

That's because globally the demand for petrol and diesel has risen dramatically.

Surely it's methane animals produce, not oxone.

As to vacuum cleaners the higher the wattage does not neccessarily equate to greater suction or efficiency.

Still seems daft though to pick on vaccuums and hairdryers, why not ban powerful cars, jet engines or power stations?

You probably missed the one about the EU proposing to restrict the power of electric kettles. I'm no scientist but I would assume that a 1kw kettle actually uses more power heating a litre of water than a 3 kw one.

If you sell widgets at 50p each and people stop buying them what would you do to the price? By the way I think petrol/diesel has gone down in price over the past 2 or 3 years..

You do though these days. You could get solar panels on your roof, a windmill in the back garden and a ground heat pump thing, the combination of which would mean you might even end up selling electricity to the grid overall rather than buying.

Until we as a country admit we need to build some new power stations, and we agree to let them be built rather than forcing them to spend decades doing public enquiries into whether we actually need them or not, we're going to have to become more energy efficient.

I don't have a choice...I can't afford solar panels, or whatever else...So like millions of people, they're stuck with buying from a provider.

Have you noticed the cost of fuel going down as a result?...Cos if you have, it's escaped me!

Has the overall demand for oil reduced in that time span? Or is the supply of oil still limiting what we can do with it?

Oil will never get cheaper. It's finite supply is rapidly running out, and it's becoming more expensive to extract every day. It's in nobody's interest to suddenly make access to it cheap and limitless. The EU requirements for fuel efficiency aren't aimed at making things cheaper for you, they're aimed at reducing the amount of fuel we need, extending the supply and allowing us to do more useful things with it than just driving to the shops.

Archived