Fed up with European directives?

You probably missed the one about the EU proposing to restrict the power of electric kettles. I'm no scientist but I would assume that a 1kw kettle actually uses more power heating a litre of water than a 3 kw one.

No,I think it'll use the same power..you just need it on for longer..why do you think it would use more?

As I said above....that only applies, if you have a choice of whether you buy that commodity or not....We don't have a choice.

We have to buy food, so by your argument places like Aldi and Lidl shouldnt be giving places like Tesco such problems?

You can always choose to buy less electricity (change your lightbulbs for LEDs) or you can change supplier - you can do that every month or so if you really want... There is no good reason to assume that buying less electricity will make the total cost go up - the suppliers need less raw energy input so they can reduce costs there, they have less plant to maintain, so less costs there.

---------- Post added 01-09-2014 at 12:12 ----------

No,I think it'll use the same power..you just need it on for longer..why do you think it would use more?

It will actually use a little more energy as it'll take longer to heat and therefore lose more energy to the surroundings as it heats up. It'll not be a significant amount but it'll be measureable.

You probably missed the one about the EU proposing to restrict the power of electric kettles. I'm no scientist but I would assume that a 1kw kettle actually uses more power heating a litre of water than a 3 kw one.

The only real differences will be in the efficiency of the heat transfer from the coil to the water.

I don't have a choice...I can't afford solar panels, or whatever else...So like millions of people, they're stuck with buying from a provider.

There are numerous options available to you, like taking out a loan. You're not stuck, you're just choosing the most convenient, easiest option, like millions of people. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just don't portray it as your only option, because it's not.

If you sell widgets at 50p each and people stop buying them what would you do to the price? By the way I think petrol/diesel has gone down in price over the past 2 or 3 years..

Yes I accept your point about widgets....but we're not talking about widgets...We're talking about a commodity that every household in the country had no choice but to buy..Like it or not.

Well, I'm not sure about petrol/diesel prices having gone down in recent years...all I'm saying is 'I' haven't noticed...and if it has, it's only a few pence..if that...I'm not the sort of person who drives five miles further down the road because it's a penny a litre cheap than the garage around the corner

Yes I accept your point about widgets....but we're not talking about widgets...We're talking about a commodity that every household in the country had no choice but to buy..Like it or not.

Well, I'm not sure about petrol/diesel prices having gone down in recent years...all I'm saying is 'I' haven't noticed...and if it has, it's only a few pence..if that...I'm not the sort of person who drives five miles further down the road because it's a penny a litre cheap than the garage around the corner

Forget widgets then..if you were supplying 'leccy and people stopped buying as muchwhat would you do to the price?

The only real differences will be in the efficiency of the heat transfer from the coil to the water.

There are numerous options available to you, like taking out a loan. You're not stuck, you're just choosing the most convenient, easiest option, like millions of people. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just don't portray it as your only option, because it's not.

Ok...Yes there are choices...I 'choose' not to. I don't want to be in debt...it 'is' 'my' only option, and I'm plucking a figure out of thin air here, so please don't shoot me...it's probably true for 90% of the rest of the householders in the country.

---------- Post added 01-09-2014 at 12:21 ----------

Forget widgets then..if you were supplying 'leccy and people stopped buying as muchwhat would you do to the price?

Figure out a way to make my profits as much as or greater than they were the previous year!

I think Pete is missing the most significant change to global energy prices of the past few years, which is that the BRICs can't get enough of the stuff and are competing for energy with the developed world. And the developed world is losing.

The energy cost issue is not a redundant debating point (because of the above context), but if you can shake off the bellybuttonism for a minute, you'd soon realise that the EU had better sort out its energy production and consumption fast and regardless, to mitigate the effect of this competition.

This Directive is a drop in the ocean, in that particular grand scheme of things - expect more to come, some expectedly quite more inconveniencing.

Most hoover manufacturers haven't waited for it either. I work with a UK national brand, and their R&D efforts (and those of the competition, with which I'm very familiar) have long (I'm talking years) concentrated on getting ever more of the wattage into effective suction, than ramping up the wattage.

Ok...Yes there are choices...I 'choose' not to. I don't want to be in debt...it 'is' 'my' only option, and I'm plucking a figure out of thin air here, so please don't shoot me...it's probably true for 90% of the rest of the householders in the country.

Well, a cheaper option would be to buy a small diesel generator, convert it to take bio-diesel, then go round all the chip shops and offer to take their used chip fat away and use that to power your home.

Although if you did that, you'd probably be quite happy to buy a new EU-approved energy efficient vacuum cleaner! :)

Like I said, there's plenty of alternatives to just buying electricity and being at the mercy of their shareholders, but that will always be the most efficient, and probably cost-effective, method of distributing electricity to the population.

Figure out a way to make my profits as much as or greater than they were the previous year!

But with a lower cost base from not having to produce / buy as much electricity, that should be easier.

Archived