Fed up with European directives?

I can see all of your arguments. But I'm afraid nothing is going to convince me that the cost of my home electricity is going to lessen because the EU come out with another 'directive'....Time will tell I guess.....:)
The purpose of this Directive (and any other similar ones) is not to lessen the cost of your home electricity, it's to lessen the European consumption of electricity - period.

That you would equate that regulatory aim with a lower personal cost, is your own assumption.

I can see all of your arguments. But I'm afraid nothing is going to convince me that the cost of my home electricity is going to lessen because the EU come out with another 'directive'....Time will tell I guess.....:)

The purpose of this Directive (and any other similar ones) is not to lessen the cost of your home electricity, it's to lessen the European consumption of electricity - period.

That you would equate that regulatory aim with a lower personal cost, is your own assumption.

This.

The cost of fuel (either electric or oil based) is only going to go up, in fact, it stands to accelerate up rather dramatically with the ever decreasing capacity we have in our systems. There will be a point where you, as a consumer, will go through all your electric use and decide to cull at least half of the things you use now.

Actually, there was no mention in my OP about lower electricity costs. I believe it was JFKvNixon who mooted that, and it kinda went off on a tangent. ;)

I think you misunderstood things.

The actual cost to you may well not lessen, but what'll happen is that energy efficiency will cause the the cost will not to increase as much as it would if we all wasted energy. Helping you save money on your energy bills.

Actually, there was no mention in my OP about lower electricity costs. I believe it was JFKvNixon who mooted that, and it kinda went off on a tangent. ;)
Right...so, bygones about that ;)

About Directives generally: the main ones I work with day-in/day-out (namely Directive 98/71/EC on the legal protection of designs and Council Directive No. 89/104/EEC on the legal protection of trademarks, each as amended/repealed/edited/etc. and implemented by relevant Council Regulations), have easily saved European businesses billions in official fees and professional service fees since they came about.

That's billions in revenues cut from the industry I work in (as it exists in each EU Member State). But we've adapted (and now we're leaner and fitter of course, certainly compared to the rest of the world :D). The main beneficiaries have been SMEs across the EU (in the UK and Germany particularly).

So, my €0,02 to the thread ;)

I wonder how many people will suffer as a result of this directive. If anything, you will be saved from buying a noisy, energy eating inefficient domestic appliance. Why not look at this positively, instead of thinking the EU are out to make your life miserable :roll:

hahahaha :hihi::hihi::hihi: Naaaa...Sheffield Forum's here for that! ;)

No,I think it'll use the same power..you just need it on for longer..why do you think it would use more?

If you leave a hot kettle it cools down because it looses heat. So the longer it takes for a kettle to boil the more heat it looses. If you make the element small enough you could leave it on all day and it wouldn't get warm because it would cool faster than it was being heated.

So, can anyone answer my question as to what'll happen to electric cars ... the ones that use around twenty times as much power as the vacuum cleaners that've been banned? These being the same cars that everyone's raving about, that'll save the planet from oblivion (not). You can bet Brussels (or wherever is that they hide nowadays) are busy making up important new directives ... shape, colour, velour or leather etc ...

Archived