Fed up with European directives?

So, can anyone answer my question as to what'll happen to electric cars ... the ones that use around twenty times as much power as the vacuum cleaners that've been banned? These being the same cars that everyone's raving about, that'll save the planet from oblivion (not). You can bet Brussels (or wherever is that they hide nowadays) are busy making up important new directives ... shape, colour, velour or leather etc ...

I suppose we could always adapt an upright vacuum cleaner to become a sort of Segway type vehicle.....Not sure that answers the question though...:)

So, can anyone answer my question as to what'll happen to electric cars ... the ones that use around twenty times as much power as the vacuum cleaners that've been banned? These being the same cars that everyone's raving about, that'll save the planet from oblivion (not). You can bet Brussels (or wherever is that they hide nowadays) are busy making up important new directives ... shape, colour, velour or leather etc ...

The idea behind electric cars is that they are no longer reliant on oil, believe it or not, oil is more difficult to acquire than electricity once it starts running out. They won't save the planet, the only thing that will save the planet is a dictatorship that is hell bent on forcing people into a green lifestyle. We will see that happen in the next 100 years or so.

If you really are going to be so narrow minded as to decide on a position before hearing debate, then I do pity you.

Oh please don't pity me....All I said was I can see your arguments...But I also see mine. (please feel free to let me know when your leccy bill reduces as a direct result of an EU directive....I have a feeling I might have quite a wait)

Someone earlier hit the nail on the head and said, 'fuels' in general will become even more expensive, because it's a commodity that's dwindling....

The idea behind electric cars is that they are no longer reliant on oil, believe it or not, oil is more difficult to acquire than electricity once it starts running out. They won't save the planet, the only thing that will save the planet is a dictatorship that is hell bent on forcing people into a green lifestyle. We will see that happen in the next 100 years or so.

Or some nice virus or disease that wipes out a good percentage of the global human population.

One key point has missed in this thread. Dyson the leading innovator in vacuum manufacture doesn't have to change one thing about it range of models. Why are other manufacturers not following this example? For my money it is simply a con by the manufacturers to say that their vacuum cleaner is more powerful when what we actually want is more effective. It's about time someone took away this false marketing tool which is costing the consumer money everytime they use their supercharged vacuum, bravo EU!

You may not have claimed it, but you did support it, claiming I was wrong.

Again I'm afriad you are wrong. I pointed out a flaw in your economic reasoning, I never even mentioned electricity in that post. It's you whom have ascribed me to supporting the directives to reducing electricity costs in pursuit of your own agenda.

---------- Post added 01-09-2014 at 14:37 ----------

One key point has missed in this thread. Dyson the leading innovator in vacuum manufacture doesn't have to change one thing about it range of models. Why are other manufacturers not following this example? For my money it is simply a con by the manufacturers to say that their vacuum cleaner is more powerful when what we actually want is more effective. It's about time someone took away this false marketing tool which is costing the consumer money everytime they use their supercharged vacuum, bravo EU!

My current vacuum cleaner has a 1200W motor and sucks like a champ.... I suspect your assessment could be right about bigger seeming to be better... but a 1200W Henry commercial cleaner is way better than what a domestic 2200W one provides. Designed better? You bet - but why design better when you can whack in a cheap powerful motor and do it with brute force.

Oh please don't pity me....All I said was I can see your arguments...But I also see mine. (please feel free to let me know when your leccy bill reduces as a direct result of an EU directive....I have a feeling I might have quite a wait)

Someone earlier hit the nail on the head and said, 'fuels' in general will become even more expensive, because it's a commodity that's dwindling....

No one claimed that it will reduce your bill. I'll post this for a second time.

The actual cost to you may well not lessen, but what'll happen is that energy efficiency will cause the the cost will not to increase as much as it would if we all wasted energy. Helping you save money on your energy bills. My original claim.

Again I'm afriad you are wrong. I pointed out a flaw in your economic reasoning, I never even mentioned electricity in that post. It's you whom have ascribed me to supporting the directives to reducing electricity costs in pursuit of your own agenda.

My own agenda???....For goodness sake....it's just a friendly discussion!...isn't it?

Do you expect everyone to shut up and say nothing, just because 'you' have spoken?....

Yes I'm a cynical old sod, and I don't believe anyone's leccy will cost less as a result of an EU directive...that's my premise...I'm not really interested in the economic reasoning...It's my point of view..and I' entitled to it...:)

---------- Post added 01-09-2014 at 14:56 ----------

No one claimed that it will reduce your bill. I'll post this for a second time.

The actual cost to you may well not lessen, but what'll happen is that energy efficiency will cause the the cost will not to increase as much as it would if we all wasted energy. Helping you save money on your energy bills. My original claim.

Isn't "it will reduce your electric bill".....and "Helping you save money on your bill"...one and the same?....Just expressed differently?.....Seems remarkably similar to me.

I see nobody has tackled the angle of dwindling resources getting more expensive either....Or doesn't that quite fit with clobbering me?

Archived