What % of Japanese smartphone can read English?

Waldo

7 people?! Or 7 percent? :)

Anyhow. Thanks all. My own feeling is perhaps not many. Possibly in the range of 10-15%. It's not like a European country where they're in close proximity to the UK

They don't have to be close to the UK to know about English, you are aware they speak it in both America and Australia right??? (and several other countries).

They (Japan) do a lot of Trade with America, and get alot of tourists from Australia so there is some incentive to speak/learn/read English.

They don't have to be close to the UK to know about English, you are aware they speak it in both America and Australia right??? (and several other countries).

They (Japan) do a lot of Trade with America, and get alot of tourists from Australia so there is some incentive to speak/learn/read English.

Why did you deliberately cut the part that says "or culturally similar". Poor effort really from you.

I have spent a bit of time in Japan and I was surprised at the 12% figure. In my experience, very, very few people speak it at conversational level.

I was talking about countries where the main language is not English. That for those countries; proximity to a English (as the primary language) speaking country, and also cultural similarities with English speaking countries, are factors that influence the % of people who understand English, in such countries (where English isn't the main language).

Yep, trade, and having foreign English speaking visitors are also factors.

Archived