U-Buffet on West Street

Ade65

Went for lunch yesterday.

It wasn't bad, but the food isn't marked up for allergens ( gluten, nuts etc) and isn't labelled as safe for vegetarians or no. (There was poor selection of choices for the veggies too)

Eg they had 'soya chicken' on offer.

We had to ask, was this 'mock-chicken' made with soya protein, or was it chicken - chicken with soya in the dish too.

Turned out to be the latter.

Also there were discrepancies on the prices on the drinks measures.

It wasn't bad, but the food isn't marked up for allergens ( gluten, nuts etc) and isn't labelled as safe for vegetarians or no. (There was poor selection of choices for the veggies too)

We had to ask, was this 'mock-chicken' made with soya protein, or was it chicken - chicken with soya in the dish too.

No good for people like me with lactose intolerance then.:hihi:

My pet hate is charging random prices.

Not genuine errors but the rogue pricing.

It can really spoil a night if you are a mixed group and paying individually.

It makes people look petty or cheap but it's the basics and they should get it right.

You cant see it was a chicken soak in soya sauce and chop into small pieces? :huh:

the menu is limited at lunch hance you paid £7 ish

there is a much wider choice after 6pm but it cost more

You cant see it was a chicken soak in soya sauce and chop into small pieces? :huh:

the menu is limited at lunch hance you paid £7 ish

there is a much wider choice after 6pm but it cost more

1) "Huh" yourself.

I don't eat meat, so I've never had chicken soak, and I've never had soya sauce and chop, either, so I would not know what either looks like, to be honest.

Until I opened the buffet-tray lid, and saw if it was real chicken, there was no actual clue as the labelling was woefully substandard.

Had the vegetarian-suitable dishes been labelled adequately (both for allergens like nuts or egg particularly and as to which contained no meat products.) I would have known which dishes to ignore.

2) It was a lunch buffet, not a lunch hance, and it was a bit more than £7 "ish"- it was £9.50, which I calculate to be 120% of £7 or thereabouts! (I CBA with maths at most times of the day, but especially so at this time of night)

3) Both my friend and I are diabetic and we both needed food, there and then, so waiting for an equally poorly-labelled evening vegetarian selection, however large the choice(I suspect the veggie choice would still not have been what one would have described as expansive) was not an option open to us.

I also doubt the labelling of the foods would have improved much in the five or six hours before the evening pricing came into play.

4) Some of the pricing contravened probably the trades descriptions act and, I'm quite sure, weights and measures legislation.

1) "Huh" yourself.

I don't eat meat, so I've never had chicken soak, and I've never had soya sauce and chop, either, so I would not know what either looks like, to be honest.

Until I opened the buffet-tray lid, and saw if it was real chicken, there was no actual clue as the labelling was woefully substandard.

Had the vegetarian-suitable dishes been labelled adequately (both for allergens like nuts or egg particularly and as to which contained no meat products.) I would have known which dishes to ignore.

2) It was a lunch buffet, not a lunch hance, and it was a bit more than £7 "ish"- it was £9.50, which I calculate to be 120% of £7 or thereabouts! (I CBA with maths at most times of the day, but especially so at this time of night)

3) Both my friend and I are diabetic and we both needed food, there and then, so waiting for an equally poorly-labelled evening vegetarian selection, however large the choice(I suspect the veggie choice would still not have been what one would have described as expansive) was not an option open to us.

I also doubt the labelling of the foods would have improved much in the five or six hours before the evening pricing came into play.

4) Some of the pricing contravened probably the trades descriptions act and, I'm quite sure, weights and measures legislation.

Hi PT,

With regards to point no 4 - It sounds like you are right, and it's a bit worrying at best!

Archived