The UK pays £55m to EU

orbs

My understanding is that the UK will not have to renegotiate its EU membership, because it's "already in" (it may well renegotiate its membership contribution, that said). Cyclone's point, basically.

But, and that's something that occurred to me last night watching the news, does that mean that 'independent Scots' within the UK would then be considered non-EU immigrants (which would have some pretty serious consequences for them as regards UK benefits, housing and suchlike)? Might already have been debated/answered in the Scottish referendum thread, but I haven't checked :blush:

That's a terrific idea. Well spotted

My understanding is that the UK will not have to renegotiate its EU membership, because it's "already in" (it may well renegotiate its membership contribution, that said). Cyclone's point, basically.

But, and that's something that occurred to me last night watching the news, does that mean that 'independent Scots' within the UK would then be considered non-EU immigrants (which would have some pretty serious consequences for them as regards UK benefits, housing and suchlike)? Might already have been debated/answered in the Scottish referendum thread, but I haven't checked :blush:

I suppose logically, if Scotland get independence and aren't allowed into the EU, then the Scottish people in the UK aren't EU citizens...whether they'd be treated differently is another matter..

I suppose logically, if Scotland get independence and aren't allowed into the EU, then the Scottish people in the UK aren't EU citizens...whether they'd be treated differently is another matter..

I'm sure many of them would have a claim on dual British/Scottish nationality so probably it would be the best of both worlds for most of them.

Hope not - send em home; send em all home, taking our jobs, contributing to the economy (mostly).

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 10:12 ----------

I'm sure many of them would have a claim on dual British/Scottish nationality so probably it would be the best of both worlds for most of them.

Please don't spoil it with your reasoned, logical posts.

We could have a private treaty with scotland to have an open border and to allow free movement.

On the other hand we could just deport them all (and presumably vice versa...)

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 10:21 ----------

Interesting. If Scotland votes for independence, I assume that people who choose to become Scottish will be giving up British citizenship as they will have been born in a country that has left the union.

We could have a private treaty with scotland to have an open border and to allow free movement.
True, and the Republic of Ireland is a strong precedent. But then, I'm not sure about how much the intervening EU legislation (since IE & UK joined) would influence matters. Have the IE<>UK arrangements of old now been superseded (maybe even repealed, as being redundant) by EU free movement legislation, or do they still co-exist?

Good point, biotechpete. With a dual-nationality daughter myself, maybe I should have engaged my brain a bit more :blush: (put it down to the luxurious feeling of switching it off when I leave work :D)

Genuine question..can you be British and not a UK citizen? As it's the UK that is a member of the EU then would being "British" make you an EU citizen?

Genuine question..can you be British and not a UK citizen? As it's the UK that is a member of the EU then would being "British" make you an EU citizen?

Given that UK is a shortened version of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and that British means to be from the UK, or relating to Great Britain, then no.

jb

We pay the corporate sector in the UK 3 BILLION a year to subsidise wages, help bonuses and profits, so the payment to the EEC is chicken feed in comparison.

Sorry just run that past us all?

Are you saying they are a net drain on the economy these businesses?

Archived