Daylight lamps?

Skink

possibly more arts than crafts but I am after a new daylight lamp for watercolour painting

Last year I was using a Lumie SAD lamp to work in the evenings but it wasn't very convenient and was a bit bright too

So what is an affordable / practical solution?

I do need a new desk lamp for my home office but that need not influence my choice for painting

I personally bought a father/son lamp for £11 at Ikea and bought daylight bulbs. If you buy the energy saving bulbs they don't get as warm so it's more comfortable to work under. I generally get enough light to embroider by just using the uplighter part...it's also far cheaper than the "daylight lamps" you can buy and just as economical to run.

I personally bought a father/son lamp for £11 at Ikea and bought daylight bulbs. If you buy the energy saving bulbs they don't get as warm so it's more comfortable to work under. I generally get enough light to embroider by just using the uplighter part...it's also far cheaper than the "daylight lamps" you can buy and just as economical to run.

What size/shape bulbs are they? I have two desk lamps and a father / son lamp but can't find daylight bulbs to fit. I have been to a lighting shops with the bulbs to ask. I can't fit 'standard (big)' old fashioned or modern energy saving bulbs in my lamps, they all take really small bulbs.

I have enough light but its hard to match colours.

To the OP - There are desk lamps and floor lamps specially designed for craft. One of the floor lamps is fairly tall. Look for them in craft shops to see if they fit your requirements.

Thanks Hayley. When I have looked in those places they don't do the bulbs I need in daylight versions. I will check again as its a while since I have asked.

Skink - I'm not sure all of those bulbs give out the same wavelength as daylight bulbs, check the box as they do differ in what is and isn't daylight. Some are just a slightly different colour to most other low energy bulbs, some are proper daylight wavelength.

I can't use those fittings in the lights I need to use to shine light on my work.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Hayley. When I have looked in those places they don't do the bulbs I need in daylight versions. I will check again as its a while since I have asked.

Skink - I'm not sure all of those bulbs give out the same wavelength as daylight bulbs, check the box as they do differ in what is and isn't daylight. Some are just a slightly different colour to most other low energy bulbs, some are proper daylight wavelength.

I can't use those fittings in the lights I need to use to shine light on my work.

Just saw this thread (I don't normally venture out of 'General' and 'Sheffield discussions'}

I'm doing some research into daylight bulbs to help me with my painting. I've been told about this company by the guy who does my printing.

He's looking for as close to daylight as is possible for his photography ... these bulbs are around 98% of the visible spectrum.

He's got some of them for his own use and lent me one to try out. Having customised a desklamp with bits bought from Maplins (bulb holder and transformer), I'm astounded by the light quality!

So far as I/we know, no one stocks them in this country, so I'm going to be sending off for some.

If you want daylight frequency light, these are the bulbs to go for!

Just saw this thread (I don't normally venture out of 'General' and 'Sheffield discussions'}

I'm doing some research into daylight bulbs to help me with my painting. I've been told about this company by the guy who does my printing.

He's looking for as close to daylight as is possible for his photography ... these bulbs are around 98% of the visible spectrum.

He's got some of them for his own use and lent me one to try out. Having customised a desklamp with bits bought from Maplins (bulb holder and transformer), I'm astounded by the light quality!

So far as I/we know, no one stocks them in this country, so I'm going to be sending off for some.

If you want daylight frequency light, these are the bulbs to go for!

A quick Google search has shown Solux UK suppliers. These bulbs don't fit the lamps I have. I have three lamps so don't want to have to replace them all. Thanks for sharing though.

Just thought......they do look like they might fit my overhead track lights, two rows of ten bulbs that look just like those. I will have to take a bulb out and check the fitting. Might go a long towards solving the problem.

Hi Alcoblog - I would be interested to know about the heat emitted and the energy saving options. In layman's terms please lol.

They're 12volts ... not very much heat at all. Don't know about the energy saving stuff, just that 12v is cheaper than 240v (I think?). The link I provided may tell you. :)

---------- Post added 21-10-2014 at 13:30 ----------

A quick Google search has shown Solux UK suppliers. These bulbs don't fit the lamps I have. I have three lamps so don't want to have to replace them all. Thanks for sharing though.

Just thought......they do look like they might fit my overhead track lights, two rows of ten bulbs that look just like those. I will have to take a bulb out and check the fitting. Might go a long towards solving the problem.

Not seen the Google result you found ... to be honest, I'm going on information my printer gave me.

As I said, I converted a desk lamp to accept the bulb with bits bought from Maplins, although I know that track light fittings work (12v). My printer's using some for his lighting (he got some light fittings (plus transformer) from a charity shop for about a fiver). I spent about £13.00 on my desk lamp conversion. :)

Edited by Alcoblog