Biker death - hard hitting story and video

He did have an oncoming view, it's quite clear he did.

The car driver didn't bother to stop at the junction they just rolled right through without looking.

That's conjecture. What he was looking at might not have been seen as an immediate threat..I don't know I wasn't the driver. As far as the bike was concerned and its speed we were all the driver thanks to the cam.

It's a fast road so you should at least gauge the speed of approaching traffic before making your turn - looking at the ground a few feet ahead of your bumper and turning in is extremely poor form.

The driver didn't even attempt to abort their manoeuvre, swerve left again, brake, etc - completely unaware.

The biker also didn't consider/"gauge" junctions, road markings, road signage, road limits..all in advance of the motorists mistake/poor judgement. The biker didn't make a mistake, he made a calculated decision, and IMO an arrogant and fatal one.

---------- Post added 05-09-2014 at 11:34 ----------

Did the car have a yellow front number plate? Was it a foreign driver?Just wondered whether he'd become a little disoriented for a moment by driving on the "wrong side" of the road and maybe looking the wrong way? (not making excuses for him by the way)

Spot on observation..could it have been a trick of light though. But like you I noticed that also.

That's conjecture. What he was looking at might not have been seen as an immediate threat..I don't know I wasn't the driver. As far as the bike was concerned and its speed we were all the driver thanks to the cam.

The biker was only a matter of meters away, anyone would consider that immediate.

However the driver has already admitted they didn't notice the bike or the car following, so I'm not sure what you think they were actually looking at because quite clearly the car driver has admitted they were not looking at the oncoming traffic.

There's no point debating who's right and wrong,bottom line is,if he wasn't speeding,he would still be alive.

I feel for his mother,and hope its something I never have to deal with as a parent.

Not true. Accidents like this happen all the time at the legal speed limit.

The point of the video message is simple. People should look out for bikers, bikers should watch their speed.

Did the car have a yellow front number plate? Was it a foreign driver?

Spot on observation..could it have been a trick of light though. But like you I noticed that also.

It was a trick of the light, it was a reflection of the bikes headlight on the cars numberplate.

But he wouldn't have even met this car,had he been doing 60,their paths would never had met.

By rights,this biker should have been miles away from this car,had he not decided he was going to fly past everyone at silly speeds.

Im not arguing braking distances,this guy should have never even been there at that moment of time.

You're missing the point completely. Maybe in this instance things would have been different if the biker was going at the limit. Not the point though!!

The point of the video message is simple. People should look out for bikers, bikers should watch their speed.

Exactly.

It's worth noting that in this case the car driver was prosecuted and found guilty for his poor driving as well.

Who said they don't?:suspect:

In this instance,he would have been nowhere near the car.

Bottom line is...

The car driver obviously didn't see the bike doing nearly a ton,sun in his eyes?not paying attention? who knows?we don't,since we only have one angle/perspective on this story.

Did the driver mean to not see the biker?

No.

The biker was driving like an idiot,putting himself and others in danger on purpose.

Its not uncommon to read about similar stories of pillocks using the road as a race track,and the families that get wrecked by their actions,are too often totally innocent drivers.

100 mph at a junction?

Pfttttt.:loopy:

---------- Post added 05-09-2014 at 12:33 ----------

I had 40 accident free years as a biker.

Best advice I ever had and the one I always took notice of was:

"Always assume that they are all out to kill you."

Defensive riding will always work.

Well said:thumbsup:

I have the same attitude,and I'm a car driver lol.

The roads are full of idiots,not always speeding either,take a look at any local supermarket car park,and just watch how many people you see struggling with the car at 5mph:hihi:.

I had 40 accident free years as a biker.

Best advice I ever had and the one I always took notice of was:

"Always assume that they are all out to kill you."

Defensive riding will always work.

Exactly, defensive driving is what it's all about and there's no way that the biker's driving could be called in any way defensive. Always assume all other drivers are unpredictable.

I'm not a biker, but as a car driver I was taught to put the car in third gear and hover your foot over the brake when approaching a junction. Third gear in order to be at a sensible speed.

I don't know if they still teach that or whether the equivalent is taught for bikers.

I find it amazing that people even want to debate the facts after watching the video. Both parties made mistakes, we all make mistakes every day. You have to try to limit the mistakes you make, especially when in control of a vehicle that can so easily kill, as we have just seen.

It should be a message to ALL drives to be focused and careful at all times. Drivers should be extremely careful when turning across fast moving traffic like that and someone on something so delicate as a motorbike should stay at a safe speed. Having said that, we've all made mistakes in cars and on bikes and this is what happens when mistakes coincide with each other in what is known as 'bad timing'. Lets just all be more careful and avoid blame.

Archived