At what age would you allow your children to use Facebook?

I was just watching a programme about a school in London. One of the year 9 pupils mentioned that she had over 1,000 'friends' on facebook. To me, that's pretty scary. She admitted that only about 6 of those were actual friends. Who are the other 994 people and why are they friends with a 14 year old girl?

I don't get facebook. I use it a lot for work, but I don't have a personal account. It's so easy to pretend to be someone you're not. And Facebook ides of privacy is a joke! I've read that if you install their messenger, they target you and your friends with adverts about whet you're talking about? It can even use your phone's camera to see your face!

The government is telling us it is wise to teach 5 year olds to learn fractions. In fact it would have been wise and far more astute to teach them information literacy and how to be safe on the Internet.

That, however, would be common sense.

Fractions? ... School.

Social Media & posting topless piccies? .... Parents. Parents. Parents.

A quick check shows me that every single one of my Explorer Scouts has managed to find me on Bookyface now. 1000 friends is not abnormal for that age range and I dont think they know more than about 20 of them well.

Parents teach them? Dont make me laugh have the parents either have no PC or wouldn't know FB from a wet haddock. I run sessions on staying safe online a couple of times a year.

As for topless pictures - well lets say they managed to send them to the wrong person before now. That was a lesson learnt the hard way - they soon realised just how silly that can be and how permanant digital media can be.

A quick check shows me that every single one of my Explorer Scouts has managed to find me on Bookyface now. 1000 friends is not abnormal for that age range and I dont think they know more than about 20 of them well.

Parents teach them? Dont make me laugh have the parents either have no PC or wouldn't know FB from a wet haddock. I run sessions on staying safe online a couple of times a year.

As for topless pictures - well lets say they managed to send them to the wrong person before now. That was a lesson learnt the hard way - they soon realised just how silly that can be and how permanant digital media can be.

A 14 year olds parents wouldn't know what facebook is? Really? I think you're being a bit too presumptuous there.

In some cases, no they simply dont know. Not everyone of them has a PC or even a smartphone and they are quite happy like that.

In some cases, maybe. But I think most of them know what facebook is and I bet a lot of them even have accounts.

The government is telling us it is wise to teach 5 year olds to learn fractions. In fact it would have been wise and far more astute to teach them information literacy and how to be safe on the Internet.

That, however, would be common sense.

perhaps the wise thing would be to teach them fractions, information literacy and how to be safe on the internet.

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 23:23 ----------

Looking up at my post I think autocorrect knobbled me - it should be HALF the parents have no PC or dont know what FB is.

The other half are semi sensible about it.

facebook seems to crop up on the jeremy kyle show a lot which probably explains everything anyone with half a brain cell needs to know about it

Archived