Tv news refugees in France

lien1

Are there no other countries they pass through on their way here that would suffice ?

Or is it in fact we are seen as a soft touch , the land of milk and honey , the land of benefits and free housing.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 05-09-2014 at 21:10 ----------

[/color]

whats wrong with France, Spain ,Germany , Italy ? all countries these people will have pased through in the back of a curtain sider on their way to Calais . ?

Are these countries not "Safe" ?

Dont these countries have human rights ?

Of course they all do ,but they dont offer the one thing that attracts them to Blighty ............... Handouts .

Do you not remember this story from a couple of years ago, in Houslow and surrounding areas, where immigrants were being exploited and living in shanties for extortionate rents?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19443279

---------- Post added 05-09-2014 at 21:43 ----------

But what use is that to the people already living here? It's just further competition for jobs, homes, and resources.

It benefits some living here - such as those who employ others, helps keep their wage costs down.

Allowing migrants to waltz in is not what my grandad fought for in WWII. He would be turning in his grave if he could see what has become of this once-great nation.

Many parts of Britain always have been melting pot of different cultures, indeed I often hear many Tories speak in wistful tones about how Britain should be proud that we are a safe haven for others less fortunate, and provide opportunities.

But what use is that to the people already living here? It's just further competition for jobs, homes, and resources.

Allowing migrants to waltz in is not what my grandad fought for in WWII. He would be turning in his grave if he could see what has become of this once-great nation.

Your so insular and self centred its embarrassing.

What I think about that doesn't really matter; I was taking issue with the narrow, rightist mentality that refugees aren't 'any use' to 'us'.

However, if you really want to know what I feel, it's that it is about time of all countries in the more developed, rich countries (OECD nations) took some responsibility for those from poorer countries who are fleeing poverty and conflict and persecution. It was the legacy of our colonial past, plus our more recent military interventions which resulted in their plight in the first place, in many cases. Whether that means encouraging agriculture and manufacturing in their own countries, or work schemes in host countries which will give them skills they can take back, or giving each rich country a quota they must take, or all of those, I don't know. But the status quo is not an option.

As for Italy, France, etc... far right-wing attitudes abound there too, sadly. The refugees are probably clinging desperately to a traditional perception of Britain as somewhere they can find sanctuary and work. They probably don't realise how unwelcome they will be made - how could they? They haven't heard of UKIP. The ones interviewed by Radio 4 recently were all convinced that British people were 'kind' and that there was work here for them. Naive, obviously, but not cynical benefits-scroungers as some of you seem to assume.

I am not sure about the legacy of our past after all these years. I certainly believe we give a lot of foreign aid to help these countries as well as voluntary schemes to improve conditions with regards to agriculture and building dams to improve sanitation. Also we give more money in foreign aid than other EU countries. Which is funded by hard working tax payers. I am not saying that all of them are benefit scroungers who want to come and live in this country but there is only so much we can do. Then you have got to bring all the tribes together to try and solve all their conflicts. which seems to make it more difficult. This country has nothing to be ashamed of, when it comes to helping other countries. we are full up and yet they are still coming from other countries. We don't always get it right but we have nothing to be ashamed of it we refused to take anymore in.

we are full up and yet they are still coming from other countries. .

Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail or UKIP blogs.

And you still haven't explained what will happen to the refugees in Calais once all those British border guards are despatched across the Channel to 'help' the French. Please clarify.

Your so insular and self centred its embarrassing.

You're embarrassing. Don't you watch the news? the world is a crazy place. enough's enough, shut the doors.

You're embarrassing. Don't you watch the news? the world is a crazy place. enough's enough, shut the doors.

As I said, insular. Go and hide in a cupboard if you like. I'd rather get on with life than live in fear and want things to be as they were in the past.

DI often hear many Tories speak in wistful tones about how Britain should be proud that we are a safe haven for others less fortunate, and provide opportunities.[/color]

It's always easy to speak in wistful tones when you're a rich politician who's main concern is feathering your own nest.

---------- Post added 05-09-2014 at 22:43 ----------

That poor people die whilst trying to enter the country suggests to me that we're anything but a soft touch.

It's been said before, they've already made it to continental Europe - if they were 'desperate' they would stay there.

I feel sorry for the ones coming over from Libya and perishing on the ferry over - although not all of those are genuine refugee's either, many are economic migrants as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28964323

That's a city half the size of Sheffield....

....Over half of them were students who were paying massive overseas student fees into the purses of our universities.

As a student city which heavilly relies on thier pennies to keep our own local economy going I dont see that as a bad thing.

So what the article is really boiling down to is 51k economic migrants came to the UK over 2013-2014.

Wow, just over a football stadium's worth.

Arrrgh, quick call the daily mail, how will we cope, raise the drawbride, close all the doors, look up your sheep.... arrrgh!!

By the way, here is a bit of number crunching just for fun.

From the most recent Research report I can find from Hansard here are a few figures.

There are x british born citizens now living in these countries following emegration.

Spain 411,000

France 173,000

Germany 155,000

Canada 675,000

USA 701,000

And my favourite...

Australia 1,208,000. That's over double the population of Sheffield.

Based on the last 20 years which is what the report covered. That's around 166k of us brits going elsewhere every year.

Just saying.

Illegals will always be illegals. Im not defending that. But not every immigrant is a scumbag theif.

....Over half of them were students who were paying massive overseas student fees into the purses of our universities.

As a student city which heavilly relies on thier pennies to keep our own local economy going I dont see that as a bad thing.

So what the article is really boiling down to is 51k economic migrants came to the UK over 2013-2014.

Wow, just over a football stadium's worth.

Arrrgh, quick call the daily mail, how will we cope, raise the drawbride, close all the doors, look up your sheep.... arrrgh!!

By the way, here is a bit of number crunching just for fun.

From the most recent Research report I can find from Hansard here are a few figures.

There are x british born citizens now living in these countries following emegration.

Spain 411,000

France 173,000

Germany 155,000

Canada 675,000

USA 701,000

And my favourite...

Australia 1,208,000. That's over double the population of Sheffield.

Based on the last 20 years which is what the report covered. That's around 166k of us brits going elsewhere every year.

Just saying.

Illegals will always be illegals. Im not defending that. But not every immigrant is a scumbag theif.

You can't just ignore the students....they are still here increasing the population and resources have to be found for them...I'm not arguing whether it's a good thing or bad just pointing out the fact that slowly but surely we are filling up...as for your last sentence I'm not sure I said they were...

Archived