What is 'stylish/elegant', in your view?

I have been watching reruns of the cop show 'Lewis'.

Lewis and his sergeant Hathaway are the epitome of elegance and style to my eyes. I dare say it is an old fashioned look these days, but nobody else comes anywhere near, and that includes women. I couldn't name one woman who looks elegant and stylish.

I agree with you about Lewis. John Thaw was, too, as Morse.

What about Helen Mirren, though? She's classically elegant and stylish, I think.

I can't think of any man I know who would ever want to be described as elegant. Heterosexual men can't be elegant, it just doesn't fit. To be stylish is simply the clothes you wear. If you have the money and desire to wear this seasons designer fashions then you are stylish. Once this seasons fashions are out of date, you are no longer stylish. Some people will wear a Chanel coat many years old, sometimes this can be called classic as the garment is now vintage and becomes very expensive. Classy and elegant I would say are how a female speaks, behaves and carries herself. There are very few women I would describe as classy and elegant North of the M25 in England.

To be stylish is simply the clothes you wear. If you have the money and desire to wear this seasons designer fashions then you are stylish. Once this seasons fashions are out of date, you are no longer stylish.

No, what you are describing is fashion, not style.

No, what you are describing is fashion, not style.

The latest fashion is style. You can't have one without the other with the exception of vintage. You can have your own style, but unless you keep up with the latest designer fashions it is impossible to be considered stylish or to have style. If you are wearing last seasons designs, you are last season which is a negative. You don't have to keep up with the latest designs but that is how it works. How can you be stylish wearing three year old designs?

The latest fashion is style. You can't have one without the other with the exception of vintage. You can have your own style, but unless you keep up with the latest designer fashions it is impossible to be considered stylish or to have style. If you are wearing last seasons designs, you are last season which is a negative. You don't have to keep up with the latest designs but that is how it works. How can you be stylish wearing three year old designs?

I think we are arguing about semantics to some extent. I know that fashionistas refer to 'this season's styles' and this season's 'fashions' as being synonymous.

However, true style is not about what the fashion magazines tell us we should be wearing this year. You do not need to be Brain of Britain to realise that the fashion industry has a vested (!) interest in pressurising us to spend a lot of money changing our wardrobes every three or six months. No, 'styles' that come and go within a year are 'fashions' or 'trends'.

Style is more subtle. It can refer to the image or 'look' which an individual cultivates for him or herself - the kinds of clothes they wear will be part of this, but it is 'more than the sum of its parts'. As others have suggested earlier, it's about how the items are worn, the way items and accessories are combined and how they complement each other and the wearer's body. It's about choosing clothing which is perfect for the wearer taking into account their age and the context in which it will be worn.

But I think it's possible to be stylish with a classic wardrobe of well-cut clothes in plain colours which are complemented with carefully-chosen accessories. The accessories can be varied from year to year, but a good coat or dress can last years. Think Chanel, not Primark!

Excellently put Alice.

Most of the stuff put out by fashion houses wouldn't look good on 99% of the population.

Much better for a person to find their own style, ie what suits them, and never mind anybody else, or whether it is the latest fashion.

the fashion industry has a vested (!) interest in pressurising us to spend a lot of money changing our wardrobes every three or six months.

Style is more subtle. It can refer to the image or 'look' which an individual cultivates for him or herself - the kinds of clothes they wear will be part of this, but it is 'more than the sum of its parts'. As others have suggested earlier, it's about how the items are worn, the way items and accessories are combined and how they complement each other and the wearer's body. It's about choosing clothing which is perfect for the wearer taking into account their age and the context in which it will be worn.

The fashion industry wants to make money but the pressure to purchase is wrongly perceived. Famous fashion designers create for two seasons per year, Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter. Their designs are expensive and they target their clothing at those who can easily afford them so there is only a desire to wear the latest designs for these types of people. Those who can't afford it may feel pressure to buy the odd item but that's because they want to keep up with the Joneses. Genuinely stylish people keep up with all the latest seasons of their favourite designers, this is what makes them stylish. Stylish people can instantly recognise someone wearing a designers last seasons jacket. You can wear items any way you like, if they are out of fashion they are out of style, they might look nice but you couldn't call them stylish. I believe it does extend to accessories as well but you need to get the clothes right first. I wouldn't call a female stylish in off the peg clothes but carrying the latest Prada handbag and wearing the latest Valentino heels.

The fashion industry wants to make money but the pressure to purchase is wrongly perceived. Famous fashion designers create for two seasons per year, Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter. Their designs are expensive and they target their clothing at those who can easily afford them so there is only a desire to wear the latest designs for these types of people. Those who can't afford it may feel pressure to buy the odd item but that's because they want to keep up with the Joneses. Genuinely stylish people keep up with all the latest seasons of their favourite designers, this is what makes them stylish. Stylish people can instantly recognise someone wearing a designers last seasons jacket. You can wear items any way you like, if they are out of fashion they are out of style, they might look nice but you couldn't call them stylish. I believe it does extend to accessories as well but you need to get the clothes right first. I wouldn't call a female stylish in off the peg clothes but carrying the latest Prada handbag and wearing the latest Valentino heels.

So your saying style = latest fashion = wealth? Anyone wearing copies (off the peg) wouldn't know style if was served up on a dinner plate thus not genuine?

Out of curiosity, how have you come to this conclusion? What is your back ground?

Archived