What is 'stylish/elegant', in your view?

You think differently to Anna Wintour, the entire fashion world, many fortune 500 companies and all her global fans. Kate Moss is a style and fashion icon! Not hot air, the proof is in the sales of everything she's ever modelled and sells with her name on since she was a young girl. Even today at over 40 she is used in major international TV and magazine modelling and style campaigns. Her sales figures prove she is very high on the list of people with style, class and elegance.

No, they don't. All her sales figures prove is that there is a very effective advertising firm at work branding and packaging her. The same could be said about a certain boy band who are breaking all sales records at the moment- it doesn't mean they're any good or that they have style.

And elegance isn't about flaunting your sexuality but about hinting at it. Oh, and not looking habitually as miserable as sin, as though you're bored with the world and everything in it. Stylish people are charismatic - she is about as charismatic as a Rottweiler. Possibly less.

You think differently to Anna Wintour, the entire fashion world, many fortune 500 companies and all her global fans. Kate Moss is a style and fashion icon! Not hot air, the proof is in the sales of everything she's ever modelled and sells with her name on since she was a young girl. Even today at over 40 she is used in major international TV and magazine modelling and style campaigns. Her sales figures prove she is very high on the list of people with style, class and elegance.

You keep harping on about style a though it is dictated by wealth. Regardless of your interest in style and the industry you can still carry style like you can carry confidence, grace, elegance, sophistication, non of which are dictated by wealth.

When do we get the answer to my previous question, Lord Ponsonby? Or is it Fred Shufflethwait from Maltby? What credentials do you hold to support your mutterings?

The same could be said about a certain boy band

I'm afraid not, that a ridiculous comparison! They won't be achieving any results in twenty five years from now. Kate Moss has stood the test of time. She is a style and fashion icon. Any female who is internationally in high demand as a model over forty let alone over thirty has achieved something very special in the fashion and style stakes. Any woman over forty who's latest fashions sell out an entire department store and large warehouse of clothes within hours of the doors opening aimed at girls in their teens is the epitome of style and fashion. You are just going to have to deal with it. The greatest fashion designers and editors in history hold the highest regard for Kate Moss. She is fashion and style royalty. But she's not the only one. There are several others.

---------- Post added 06-09-2014 at 13:52 ----------

And elegance isn't about flaunting your sexuality but about hinting at it. Oh, and not looking habitually as miserable as sin, as though you're bored with the world and everything in it. Stylish people are charismatic - she is about as charismatic as a Rottweiler. Possibly less.

This is just rubbish now alice. Sorry to be so blunt. Style, fashion, elegance has nothing to do with charisma at all. You can be the most bland plain girl completely devoid of personality, yet the most stylish and fashionable person in the room. There are many examples of this. I genuinely think you're confused about what style is.

Clothes don't make the man(or woman) the man(or woman) make the man(or woman).

Fashion comes and goes but style is eternal. Its not what you wear its how you carry yourself, how you project, that sort of insouciance.

Nobody remembers what Keith Richards wears but they know he doesn't care and his attitude is and has always been to go against the establishment. The man has more style because of that devil may care indolence and his elegant yet funky, rough guitar playing will eventually be lauded as pure genius

Gerard Depardieu has been called a force of nature. He could have moved to Hollywood and joined the rat race but he bough a vineyard and made wine after he played Cyranno de Bergerac and made the French weep. He isn't attractive but he has style in abundance

Daniel Day Lewis is a cobbler except for when he decides he'd quite like to win acting awards or an oscar so he absorbs himself utterly in a role and wears the skin of a character. Wins awards and goes back to mending shoes. Pure class. It doesn't matter what he wears, its the attitude.

PJ Harvey is one of our great guitarists. She releases superb albums every few years but she never takes her clothes off to promote them. I have no clue what she wears but I do know shes from the west country and she can sling power chords and write music and produce like Guy Martin. She has made her way in the music industry on her terms and shes reaping the rewards she deserves because she has the attitude. She has style from her head to the floor.

Ana Matronic of the Scissor Sisters co-wrote their albums and was part of the New York arthouse scene and constantly works for aids charities and tolerance toward the gay community despite being straight. He father died of aids related complications when she was a teen and she immerses herself in gay culture to feel closer to him. She is one of the most effortlessly cool people I know.

I could keep going. Its not what you wear, its who you are. Thats what makes you stylish

You keep harping on about style a though it is dictated by wealth. Regardless of your interest in style and the industry you can still carry style like you can carry confidence, grace, elegance, sophistication, non of which are dictated by wealth.

When do we get the answer to my previous question, Lord Ponsonby? Or is it Fred Shufflethwait from Maltby? What credentials do you hold to support your mutterings?

Do you require me to hold a high position or degree in fashion and style before i comment on it. I just commented on another post about auction feedback. Maybe i should delete that post as I'm not a qualified auctioneer? Do I really have to tell you once again that style is wearing the latest fashions and in order to keep up to date you need to be able to afford it. That is the only way you can be considered stylish. If you are your partner were invited to a posh dinner, and on the invitation you were required to, dress to impress, what would you wear? This is a perfect example of how to tell if you are stylish or not, if you were invited to a stylish event, would you have to hire an outfit. if so, you are not stylish.

---------- Post added 06-09-2014 at 14:01 ----------

Clothes don't make the man(or woman) the man(or woman) make the man(or woman).

That's poppycock, poppycock those who can't afford to be stylish tell themselves. Style is wearing the latest designer fashions. It can't be anything else. People do remember what celebrities wear, that's why the most famous fashion designers want their chosen actresses to wear their dresses to the Oscars. Most talented celebrities or musicians are also stylish because they can afford it. That tatty t-shirt worn on stage by Mick Jagger is probably a £600 Alexander McQueen t-shirt, but to the untrained eye, just looks like a t-shrit.

What credentials do you hold to support your mutterings?

Do you require me to hold a high position or degree in fashion and style before i comment on it..

Smithy?? that you?

Considering your rigid stance, well yeah, duh.

You didn't comment on it, you gave a long winded rambling speech without any reference of validity. Considering your latest non answer response I will accept you just haven't a clue.

BTW, Do you consider yourself to have style?

That's poppycock, poppycock those who can't afford to be stylish tell themselves. Style is wearing the latest designer fashions. It can't be anything else. People do remember what celebrities wear, that's why the most famous fashion designers want their chosen actresses to wear their dresses to the Oscars. Most talented celebrities or musicians are also stylish because they can afford it. That tatty t-shirt worn on stage by Mick Jagger is probably a £600 Alexander McQueen t-shirt, but to the untrained eye, just looks like a t-shrit.
No its not. Anyone can wear a £600 t-shirt but it doesn't mean you've got style. If you're a pleb in a £600 t-shirt then you are. You can put a pig in a suit but you can't stop it grunting

Do you consider yourself to have style?

No, I can't afford it unfortunately so sadly I have no style. I try to do my best with what I have and consider myself presentable at best, but style is something that will sadly always evade me unless I make a lot more money than I do currently.

---------- Post added 06-09-2014 at 14:50 ----------

You can put a pig in a suit but you can't stop it grunting

A pig in a an expensive designer suit immediately becomes a pig with style. There are many of those too.

Archived