Death row is cheated twice, again..

Two innocents about to walk free from the clutches of death row..

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/us/2-convicted-in-1983-north-carolina-murder-freed-after-dna-tests.html?WT.mc_id=D-E-OTB-AD-RSS-INTLAUDDEV-OS-0824-0905-L1&WT.mc_ev=click&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1409238341000&bicmet=%201440774341000&_r=0

What is the point of sending a man to death row only to keep him there for 3 decades? Is it because the system thought 'We think you did the killing but we're not sure' or a case of "We're going to kill you but we need to torture you first..for 30 yrs, maybe more.'

Two innocents about to walk free from the clutches of death row..

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/us/2-convicted-in-1983-north-carolina-murder-freed-after-dna-tests.html?WT.mc_id=D-E-OTB-AD-RSS-INTLAUDDEV-OS-0824-0905-L1&WT.mc_ev=click&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1409238341000&bicmet=%201440774341000&_r=0

What is the point of sending a man to death row only to keep him there for 3 decades? Is it because the system thought 'We think you did the killing but we're not sure' or a case of "We're going to kill you but we need to torture you first..for 30 yrs, maybe more.'

Look at it this way. If these two had been convicted in a British court prior to the abolition of the death penalty they would have been executed about three weeks after sentence was passed

DNA wasnt in use when these two were tried and sentenced. Most evidence was either by fingerprints or eyewitness.

At least they are still alive. A lengthy term on death row allows appeals to be carried out by defence lawyers and reviews done if new evidence comes to light.

Too bad Timothy Evans never had that right. He was tried and strung up in double quick time for murders that his landlord John Halliday Christie actually did.

America will eventually develop enough to get rid of the death penalty. I like America but always found it a little bit backwards with some things. The death penalty being one of them. I always find it funny when the US goes into some country offering democracy and freedom yet routinely murders its own innocent people. As they say though, Only in America.

Hello, Home Wrecker welcome to the forum, are you out to make some record or other, 75 post in the first four days, keep up the good post:thumbsup:

Look at it this way. If these two had been convicted in a British court prior to the abolition of the death penalty they would have been executed about three weeks after sentence was passed

Irrelevant really but equally if a man was reprieved it was done in the same amount of time...not 30 yrs of torture hanging over him plus being executed.

DNA wasnt in use when these two were tried and sentenced. Most evidence was either by fingerprints or eyewitness.

Which hasn't stopped people being executed, wrongly. If DNA hadn't been discovered these two would have fried.

At least they are still alive. A lengthy term on death row allows appeals to be carried out by defence lawyers and reviews done if new evidence comes to light.

So the system accepts that someone found guilty and sentenced to death could in fact be innocent?

Too bad Timothy Evans never had that right. He was tried and strung up in double quick time for murders that his landlord John Halliday Christie actually did.

:roll:You repeat this on every US justice thread. Your fake tenderness regarding Timothy Evans is wearing thin even by your standards.

The thread isn't about British justice, if it was I would have made that clear.

America will eventually develop enough to get rid of the death penalty. I like America but always found it a little bit backwards with some things. The death penalty being one of them. I always find it funny when the US goes into some country offering democracy and freedom yet routinely murders its own innocent people. As they say though, Only in America.

If that's not a complete exaggeration of the facts I dont know what is. Anyway there are some very horrible people loose in this society who commit horrible and brutal crimes including serial killings and mass shootings

These kind of people deserve nothing less than termination

---------- Post added 06-09-2014 at 17:19 ----------

Irrelevant really but equally if a man was reprieved it was done in the same amount of time...not 30 yrs of torture hanging over him plus being executed.

Which hasn't stopped people being executed, wrongly. If DNA hadn't been discovered these two would have fried.

So the system accepts that someone found guilty and sentenced to death could in fact be innocent?

:roll:You repeat this on every US justice thread. Your fake tenderness regarding Timothy Evans is wearing thin even by your standards.

The thread isn't about British justice, if it was I would have made that clear.

The system of justice here is hardly any different from the British system. A 12 person jury of your peers, defence and prosecuting council with a judge presiding.

Have you ever acttually sat on a jury for instance?

If that's not a complete exaggeration of the facts I dont know what is. Anyway there are some very horrible people loose in this society who commit horrible and brutal crimes including serial killings and mass shootings

These kind of people deserve nothing less than termination

Yeah but you 'terminate' the innocent.

The system of justice here is hardly any different from the British system. A 12 person jury of your peers, defence and prosecuting council with a judge presiding.

It's significantly different.

Repeat those words to anyone on death row and they'll disagree with you.

Have you ever acttually sat on a jury for instance?

Yes, but not sure of the relevance.

Archived