West Street letters that have vanished

ohmyword

Well, definitely one letter has gone missing anyway.

Has anyone ever seen / eaten at a place called Jannath? A lovely man is the main guy there. Really good food he serves. Thing is, it's not called Jannath any more. It's called Jannat and that makes me think that letters have been going missing. But the really weird thing is that when you look at the sign, it doesn't actually look like an 'h' was ever there and it looks as though that's meant to be the name. Weird.

So does anyone know if the place has changed it's name on purpose or if the letter went missing? If it did go missing, does anyone know how this happened?

My favourite is Sheffield Cold Stores up near Jenkin Rd. The 't' has fallen off. I can't believe it actually fell off though, was probably a bored YTS lad on his night off.

The back of the Co-Op Angel Street is losing its lettering now. It doesn't say anything funny though unfortunately.

Have you tried looking on Google street view it's usually a couple of years old and may confirm your suspicions.

Good idea. If you Google 'Jannath Sheffield' it shows the old sign (when it used to have an 'h'). But then you go there in real life and the 'h' isn't there.

Excellent. This answers the first bit of my query then. Thank you for this.

So analysing those photos has made me come to a conclusion. The name change is deliberate, which I think is odd isn't it? I presume that is his name so has he changed his name? Why would you go from Jannath to Jannat? Is Jannat his wife and she's the new figurehead? What do people know?

Archived