Grooming of UK jihadis, do violent computer games play a part?

So what you are saying is that anything that counters your opinion is either not worth reading or it is just a conspiracy.

If you had read the other three pages you would have known that that isn't the case. Its a balanced article and the answer is.

Do violent video games lead to real violence?

Don't know, they might for some people but they might not, there is no conclusive evidence to support either position.

The article therefore doesn't come to an explicit conclusion. It says things like "Whatever the factors, the evidence for some kind of connection is compelling" and then "there are considerable deficiencies in studies connecting violent game play with violent (or, more accurately, aggressive) behaviour". Implicitly though by putting forward the anti-link argument it undermines the pro-link one but never actually comes off the fence.

And yet you'd already posted this before providing the link;

...but it doesn't change the fact that the games they played might have had a part to play in their decision to join I.S.

There is no evidence of a link but your posts lean towards implying there is a link despite your not having any concrete evidence that there is.

The article therefore doesn't come to an explicit conclusion.

Yes that is what I just said.

There is no evidence of a link but your posts lean towards implying there is a link despite your not having any concrete evidence that there is.

There is evidence of a link but it isn't conclusive.

Do violent video games lead to real violence?

Don't know, they might for some people but they might not, there is no conclusive evidence to support either position.

If there is no evidence to support a claim, the next logical step would be to question why such a claim or assertion should be considered/entertained in the first place.

If there is no evidence to support a claim, the next logical step would be to question why such a claim or assertion should be considered/entertained in the first place.

But there is some evidence so the logical step is to keep looking until there is enough to either confirm or deny that the link exists.

There is evidence that supports the possibility of life on other worlds, but so far there is no proof that it exists.

There is evidence that supports the possibility that there is a link between violent computer games and real life violence, but so far there is no proof the link exists.

So if you are happy to disregard the possibility of a link between violent computer games and real life violence, are you also happy to disregard the possibility of life on other worlds?

So if you are happy to disregard the possibility of a link between violent computer games and real life violence, are you also happy to disregard the possibility of life on other worlds?

Yes. I can easily disregard the possibility of something until it is proven to actually exist. We could all spend our lives thinking about possibilities rather than dealing with the reality of everyday life. In any case there have been enough killings in the USA alone to provide sufficient evidence of a link if there actually was one but as the link you provided has looked at that evidence and then stated it's not very strong then it's just your imagination that is wanting there to be a link that we are discussing, nothing more.

Yes. I can easily disregard the possibility of something until it is proven to actually exist. We could all spend our lives thinking about possibilities rather than dealing with the reality of everyday life. In any case there have been enough killings in the USA alone to provide sufficient evidence of a link if there actually was one but as the link you provided has looked at that evidence and then stated it's not very strong then it's just your imagination that is wanting there to be a link that we are discussing, nothing more.

Imagination, the faculty or action of forming new ideas, or images or concepts of external objects not present to the senses. Without human imagination I don't think human would be were we are now, great works of art, music, disease cures, technology all come from peoples imagination before they become realty.

Closed mined, stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas.

Clearly you are in the wrong topic if you have no desire to think about and consider the possibility that the OP might have a point.

And there is evidence of a link but it isn't enough to prove causation, and I doubt it would be possible to prove one way or the other, and even if they did prove a link it wouldn't be desirable to stop people playing shooting games just because a minority go on to kill in the real world.

Imagination, the faculty or action of forming new ideas, or images or concepts of external objects not present to the senses. Without human imagination I don't think human would be were we are now, great works of art, music, disease cures, technology all come from peoples imagination before they become realty.

Closed mined, stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas.

Clearly you are in the wrong topic if you have no desire to think about and consider the possibility that the OP might have a point.

And there is evidence of a link but it isn't enough to prove causation, and I doubt it would be possible to prove one way or the other, and even if they did prove a link it wouldn't be desirable to stop people playing shooting games just because a minority go on to kill in the real world.

There is plenty of "evidence" to prove the existence of God..in fact there are probably millions if not billions of recorded incidents, yet all that "evidence" is based on individuals with a story to tell..that's all you did..point to "a story to be told". No factual data, no scientific credibility, just the words of others. If I say the moon is made of chocolate, the fact I make the statement isn't evidence or proof of causation.

You alone choose poor examples and when questioned you try and pretty wrap them up by babbling the following by pretentiously patronizing your critics with...

Imagination, the faculty or action of forming new ideas, or images or concepts of external objects not present to the senses. Without human imagination I don't think human would be were we are now, great works of art, music, disease cures, technology all come from peoples imagination before they become realty. Closed mined, stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas.

in an attempt to somehow give you credibility as some great philosophical open minded thinker.:roll:You're not, you're just a sad man who doesn't like Muslims or immigrants and will hunt down the flimsiest of "evidence" to maintain and justify it. Citation isn't proof of evidence.

But there is some evidence so the logical step is to keep looking until there is enough to either confirm or deny that the link exists.

There is evidence that supports the possibility of life on other worlds, but so far there is no proof that it exists.

There is evidence that supports the possibility that there is a link between violent computer games and real life violence, but so far there is no proof the link exists.

The evidence that exists is only as strong as the evidence for supernatural occurrences. Should we keep looking until there is enough to confirm or deny that?

Or should we just keep an open mind but leave it up to the claimants to provide the proof?

I haven't disregarded any possibilities of anything.

Archived