Why is Hunters Bar called Hunters Bar?

Mr Hunters house is still there, it`s part of the HUNTER HOUSE HOTEL, hence the name of the hotel.His house is the right hand half of the Hotel which has now been taken over by some religeous group, Mr Hunters House has the groups name on it.

I wonder why they were so important as to have a toll gate and then a suburb named after them.

It wasnt that they were important, it was a case of local people used Mr HUNTERS BAR as a reference point in general talk and giving directions i.e. " The Banner Cross pub is just up the road from Hunters Bar" it was in general parlance for years subsequentley the Council at the time officially adopted it as a area of Sheffield.

I wonder why they were so important as to have a toll gate and then a suburb named after them.

For no better reason than that the nearest notable feature to the toll gate was Hunter's House ?

Why it became the name of a suburb is a difficult process to analyse with any certainty. Being the first toll bar on the road out to Deryshire, Hunters Bar would be a place that stuck in peoples minds and was remembered. When initially constructed in 1811 it would have been in almost entirely rural surroundings and was possibly built on land owned by whoever then occupied Hunter's House. Later and until 1899/1900 it was the terminus for a horse-drawn tram so the 'place-name' would be reinforced, but meanwhile in the period 1850 to 1880 new housing and shops etc had been creeping up Ecclesall road, and the tram route would have accelerated this process in the 1880s. People living in the new housing there would think of themselves as living at 'Hunter's Bar'. The property developers may also have used the name to give a readily identifiable location in their advertisements.

Several 'suburbs' in Sheffield derive their names from 'single feature' locations and are associated with early tram termini; - two that readily spring to mind are Malin Bridge and Nether Edge.

Just interested to know if anyone knows the reason behind Hunters Bar having it's name...? Anybody?

Ibelieve it got its name when the hunt used to dismount for various reasons ,then remount from the [bar] think there used to be a large stone there before a wooden bar gate took its place a number of years ago.

and there's the toll bar at Pitsmoor, immortalised in the name of the pub, and the quaint little cottage on the junction of barnsley road and burngreave rd.

and on Collegiate Crescent, there are two, single-storey buildings which I assume are toll cottages, one at either end:- at its junction with Ecclesall Road, and one at its start, by Brunswick Street (although, they could be gatehouses for the original private estate.. i don't know)

PT

West Bar

Catch Bar (Lane)

I'm pretty sure West Bar was a medieval bar like the bars in York, thanks for the reminder about Catch Bar lane.

There seem to be three tollhouses remaining in Sheffield from the turnpike era, the one at Pitsmoor mentioned by PT, the little tollhouse on langsett road,

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s16151

which has had the front bay removed, and the Roundhouse at Ringinglow.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s16150

Archived