So what's the black 'plaster' thing on the bottom of prepacked meat?

I'm sure we've all been there. Got a nice juicy steak...it's vacuum packed in the little tray....What the hell is the little square 'plaster' type thing at the bottom of it? The times I've actually cooked that without noticing....and before the clever people say..."I've never done it"...I don't believe you!...

So what is it? Why is it there?.....

At a vague guess I'd hazard a guess...to soak up the blood....But it's horrible, and tastes worse!...hahaha (joke)

Any other example of similar things?

Do fish bleed?.....I'm not a great lover of fish...and definitely the worlds most reluctant fisherman...hahaha

I have no idea if they bleed!

They shouldn't.

It would be orrible. :gag:

---------- Post added 09-09-2014 at 18:55 ----------

... don't fish have blood then? :huh:

Oh dear...

... beaten to that one... ;)

No.

No they don't.

(In my mind)

... don't fish have blood then? :huh:

Oh dear...

... beaten to that one... ;)

I've not got a clue....(and don't all clamour to agree)....I don't eat fish...don't fish and have no idea about these things...Is it clear blood?....Yuk...I feel cringworthy even discussing 'fish'.....Give me a steak...I know where I am with that...except the sticky plaster....If I go to the butchers I don't get a sticky plaster....

Archived