So what's the black 'plaster' thing on the bottom of prepacked meat?

I'm sure we've all been there. Got a nice juicy steak...it's vacuum packed in the little tray....What the hell is the little square 'plaster' type thing at the bottom of it? The times I've actually cooked that without noticing....and before the clever people say..."I've never done it"...I don't believe you!...

So what is it? Why is it there?.....

At a vague guess I'd hazard a guess...to soak up the blood....But it's horrible, and tastes worse!...hahaha (joke)

Any other example of similar things?

Its from a crap vet...."dont worry, its only a scratch"

Yes pete its for soaking up blood and black doesn't show blood like the white previously used.As for fish,the clue is in cold blooded.

I suppose when you sit and think about it...it's pretty gross...But hey ho...I can live with it. However I do much prefer meat from a 'proper' butcher...Supermarkets 'trim' the fat off meat....That really winds me up...If I don't want it, I'll cut it off myself...give me the choice!!!

Yes pete its for soaking up blood and black doesn't show blood like the white previously used.As for fish,the clue is in cold blooded.

Virtually all the blood from meat is removed at slaughter,the red stuff is called myoglobin.

Red meat is distinguished from white meat primarily based on the levels of myoglobin in the meat. The more myoglobin, the redder the meat. Thus most animals, such as mammals, with a high amount of myoglobin, are considered “red meat”, while animals with low levels of myoglobin, like most poultry, or no myoglobin, like some sea-life, are considered “white meat”.

Virtually all the blood from meat is removed at slaughter,the red stuff is called myoglobin.

Red meat is distinguished from white meat primarily based on the levels of myoglobin in the meat. The more myoglobin, the redder the meat. Thus most animals, such as mammals, with a high amount of myoglobin, are considered “red meat”, while animals with low levels of myoglobin, like most poultry, or no myoglobin, like some sea-life, are considered “white meat”.

So why the sponge cunningly disguised under the steak (or whatever)...to try and fool us into thinking we're not actually eating a slaughtered animal?

So why the sponge cunningly disguised under the steak (or whatever)...to try and fool us into thinking we're not actually eating a slaughtered animal?

A quick Google has revealed that similar cunning devices are used underneath pre-packed fruit, though I can't say I've seen these myself.

Now I'm no expert in the art of greengrocery, but as far as I know fruit and veg are definitely blood-less...

... except of course blood oranges. :gag:

I would hazard to guess that the "sticker" thingymabob under the meat is also absorbent, keeping the fluid in close proximity to the flesh to keep it moist through capillary action.

---------- Post added 09-09-2014 at 22:57 ----------

Now I'm no expert in the art of greengrocery, but as far as I know fruit and veg are definitely blood-less...

They are prone to bruising though..extra form of padding/insulation?

Archived