The Good Idea Club Presents Job Jail

People need to find jobs from 9 to 5? You must be joking. I'm jobseeking and a lot of the jobs are for less than 6 hours per week minimum wage. That'd be just about enough to pay for transport to get there and back. Of course, we don't need to eat, or pay household bills, do we? It's about time MP's came down from Planet Parliament and found out how us mere mortals live.

People need to be looking for work for 37.5 hours a week, I find that fair. I also do need believe that there are "a lot" of jobs offering 6 hours per week. There may be a few but you are over exaggerating.

I have read a bit about this and I can't find anywhere official that says the applicants have to stay at the job centre all day. Perhaps they will be sent out and expected to return at the end of the day? I am behind this idea.

Yes that occurred to me too. All that lot for 35 hours a week?....and someone's bound to 'kick off'...it will be bedlam!

I was forced onto a 'training' course at Sheffield college when I was claiming last year. 9:30am-3:00pm every weekday for 8 weeks. Half the people in my class left after a couple weeks, but I heard of people starting fights and generally raising a bit of hell in the others. Not really surprising when the entire course was so patronizing; don't turn up to interviews in trainers / tracksuits and other valuable gems of knowledge.

The trouble with ideas like this is that the sort of people they're targeted at don't have a lot of skills / have a very limited pool of jobs they can be applying to. You can say that someone who, for example, passed their GCSE's and didn't go into a trade should be jobseeking for 40 hours a week, but what exactly are they going to be doing once they've exhausted the job advertisements for the day? Give them busywork of phoning every company in the phone book asking for jobs? I don't know about anyone else but almost every single job I've had has been through someone I know. Literally, only 2 jobs I've worked at were from me applying without knowing anyone, and they were both places with massive turnover rates (people leaving after a week because it was hard to do). Everything else was 'I know this guy' and I had the job. Keeping people cooped up in a Jobcentre all day isn't going to be much help, it's just punishment for not having a job.

Like everything coming from the back side of the country it is flawed through not having clear expectations.

How much time is wasted by the job finding people on those who will through no fault of their own, not be in a position to work. Like the present scandal of young ones being neglected, the unemployable are treated the same.

No one wants to see anyone get to the point where you are eligible for the support of the Archer project but society is slowly falling apart.

The long term unemployed or those who will always require supervision require a new structure almost like childcare nurseries with the right educated and trained people in place. The only thing close to this is Remploy.

Ask people who are unemployed how they feel and they feel tired, exhausted and down. There is no way people in this position can face a full days labour of job hunting, even if it is desk based. I would not want a constant stream of job seekers calling my business so are these experts going to let businesses know how to handle the extra calls to HR departments. Access to fitness and sports facilities should be a priority to maintain a healthy routine.

The Job Seekers Allowance Claimants that have to attend the Job Centre every day have already spent two years on the Work Programme and still not found work.

Before people have to attend the job centre every day etc they will already have

- had at least 6-12 months claiming JSA before being put onto the Work Programme

- had two years on the Work Programme with an organisation paid for by DWP (still claiming JSA)

- gone back to the Job Centre after 2 years on the Work Programme nd after a few weeks put into one of three groups (I don't know how they get selected for which group):

-- attend the Job Centre for 5 days a week to do job searching

-- attend a training course that has been allocated to you (don't know what these will be or if the person has a choice of courses)

-- work with a DWP contractor company to find a work placement - 30 hours a week with a local employer, half a day with the DWP contractor to help look for work and for the half day left in the 5 day working week the person either has a half day 'off' or 'signs on' on alternate weeks

Lots of support to find work

Lots of tax payer money to do it all (eg kitting out Job Centres to accommodate this and train staff, paying for courses or DWP contractor to manage placements)

Oh, and if you are cynical there is also an element of stopping people 'working on the side' and claiming. It will be interesting to see how many people sign off JSA when forced to do one of the above

My daughter, who has Aspergers and dropped out of Uni due to lack of support, was put on a work programme. She already suffered depression from one disappointment in life so when after 2 days of a weeks work trial with a retail outlet they got rid of most of the workers because they'd found those they wanted it was no surprise that her depression returned again. The government don't have provision for people with learning difficulties or mental health problems so like prison there will be disproportionate number of people with problems penalised under this new policy :(

My daughter, who has Aspergers and dropped out of Uni due to lack of support, was put on a work programme. She already suffered depression from one disappointment in life so when after 2 days of a weeks work trial with a retail outlet they got rid of most of the workers because they'd found those they wanted it was no surprise that her depression returned again. The government don't have provision for people with learning difficulties or mental health problems so like prison there will be disproportionate number of people with problems penalised under this new policy :(

Possibly true, but there is only so much the state can do. In the cases of disabled people, I would consider it more the responsibility of the family to support them financially, nit the state. This 8 any a comment on how you support your daughter, obviously I don't know you

Archived