Where would you love to live?

I've been on holiday to so many places I've felt I wanted to live in but living somewhere is different from going on holiday.

Reykjavik, Dunedin, Buenos Aires, Vancouver, Victoria, Edinburgh, York, Whitby have all made me want to live there but ask a resident of those places and they might tell you they'd rather live somewhere else.

Ditto.

I was once bought my own piece of Canada (high up in the Rockies, 24 hours' drive from Vancouver) and I just couldn't face the isolation of being a mile from my nearest neighbours and an hour from the nearest small town so we didn't end up moving there, however beautiful it was.

I love Vancouver, I love Whitehorse, Yukon, and I adore Amsterdam, but there's a big hitch- none of them are within a short commute of the places to which I'm hopelessly attached. Because of this I would consider a move to some areas of Cornwall (and then dismiss it because it's just too busy with tourists most of the year) and probably pick somewhere just up the coast from Whitby, if I had free rein over anywhere to go.

Ditto.

I was once bought my own piece of Canada (high up in the Rockies, 24 hours' drive from Vancouver) and I just couldn't face the isolation of being a mile from my nearest neighbours and an hour from the nearest small town so we didn't end up moving there, however beautiful it was.

I love Vancouver, I love Whitehorse, Yukon, and I adore Amsterdam, but there's a big hitch- none of them are within a short commute of the places to which I'm hopelessly attached. Because of this I would consider a move to some areas of Cornwall (and then dismiss it because it's just too busy with tourists most of the year) and probably pick somewhere just up the coast from Whitby, if I had free rein over anywhere to go.

A friend of mine commuted from Amsterdam to Liverpool, Manchester and London for a while, lived in Amsterdam 3 days a week and the rest on the road (he was a consultant for one of the big firms here in the UK with some responsibilities in Amsterdam making him have to stay there 1 day a week, he flipped the thing around and used Amsterdam as base).

It is very possible, especially with cheap carriers like Easyjet and Ryanair, if you plan it all in a tight schedule and get tickets as soon as they are on offer you can fly up and down to Amsterdam every week for well under 80£ - a hell of a lot cheaper than a train-ticket from Sheffield to London for example!

I've been on holiday to so many places I've felt I wanted to live in but living somewhere is different from going on holiday.
QFT taxman...but if I could, I'd still go live there. Past murder notwithstanding (where hasn't there been one?)

Yes, it really looks like this, that's not photoshopped.

I'd put up with the hurricane season, the occasional rumble/volcanic outburst from neighbouring Montserrat, and expectedly live on not a whole lot from tourism-related work/services...but yeah, out of everywhere, that'd be the place.

A friend of mine commuted from Amsterdam to Liverpool, Manchester and London for a while, lived in Amsterdam 3 days a week and the rest on the road (he was a consultant for one of the big firms here in the UK with some responsibilities in Amsterdam making him have to stay there 1 day a week, he flipped the thing around and used Amsterdam as base).

It is very possible, especially with cheap carriers like Easyjet and Ryanair, if you plan it all in a tight schedule and get tickets as soon as they are on offer you can fly up and down to Amsterdam every week for well under 80£ - a hell of a lot cheaper than a train-ticket from Sheffield to London for example!

I would never choose to do that I'm afraid. Air travel is environmentally very unsound and on top of that my inner ears find it so painful that I would very much like to never get on a plane again.

Then there's the cost. £80 is a month's mortgage ;)

---------- Post added 10-09-2014 at 13:00 ----------

QFT taxman...but if I could, I'd still go live there. Past murder notwithstanding (where hasn't there been one?)

Yes, it really looks like this, that's not photoshopped.

I'd put up with the hurricane season, the occasional rumble/volcanic outburst from neighbouring Montserrat, and expectedly live on not a whole lot from tourism-related work/services...but yeah, out of everywhere, that'd be the place.

It's lovely, but when you want to buy some new furniture, where do you go? How about when you fancy a long drive or to go and see your favourite band at a gig?

I'm way too much of a townie to go that far away from civilisation I'm afraid.

It's lovely, but when you want to buy some new furniture, where do you go?
:confused:

That's too much of an inconsequential/personal issue, quite a bit lower down the order of priorities when choosing to live in such places.

Anyway, most of our furniture is French heirloom on my side, and has followed us around in the UK and beyond over the years.

How about when you fancy a long drive or to go and see your favourite band at a gig?
A long drive is out of the question, the island is too small. That said, the roads (if they haven't changed) are sufficiently third-worldy to make any trip a long one :hihi:

As for gigs, you can't top Shirley Heights for setting and

, and that's 10 minutes away. The "favourite band" might not be touring there, but that's what the Interweb and decent HiFi gear is for ;)

:confused:

That's too much of an inconsequential/personal issue, quite a bit lower down the order of priorities when choosing to live in such places.

Anyway, most of our furniture is French heirloom on my side, and has followed us around in the UK and beyond over the years.

A long drive is out of the question, the island is too small. That said, the roads (if they haven't changed) are sufficiently third-worldy to make any trip a long one :hihi:

As for gigs, you can't top Shirley Heights for setting and

, and that's 10 minutes away. The "favourite band" might not be touring there, but that's what the Interweb and decent HiFi gear is for ;)

Having lived somewhere that didn't have decent shops for all sorts of things, from clothing to furniture to decorating supplies, I can tell you that it can wind you up when you have trouble buying stuff.

Anyway, that's your choice of somewhere to live and that's fine :)