Where would you love to live?

Perth Australia.

Regards

Doom

I've lived there and it's OK, but not amazing. Good beaches, but a long way from anywhere interesting. It's bit like living in Legoland on the Moon, but with more shops.

The suburbs go on forever and they have embarrassing roadside signs which boast things like 'The Living is Great in Wanneroo!'.

The climate makes up for a lot, though...

This thread is pretty much nonsense for the following reasons.

If the place(s) mentioned are where you want to live, why are you not living there now? Forget the excuses. If you really wanted to live there , you would be there now.An idea without an action plan is just a day-dream.

It's really about pipe dreams though isn't it? That's why people are coming up with places they've been on holiday but have no idea what living there would actually be like. On that basis I'd nominate Brooklyn NY, preferably Brooklyn Heights or Cobble Hill. Been there once, liked it a lot, seemed nicer than where I live now and certainly a lot closer to Manhattan.

It's really about pipe dreams though isn't it?
It is and it isn't: what is undoubtedly a pipe dream initially can, for some with the right drive/plan/timescale (or a good retirement ;)), eventually turn into a reasonably-coherent opportunity.

Up until 3 years ago or so, my "Antiguan" aspirations were a pipe dream, no doubt. But I have since got the relevant professional badges to go with my skills and experience, to be able to work from literally anywhere on the planet, and there is the relevant 'borderless' demand and high value placed on such services, constantly growing...to the extent that I could do Australia, Singapore, the US <etc.> tomorrow (well, judging from various headhunters' insistence lately). But that's a mug's game, as these opportunities just relocate the hamster wheel.

But Antigua has zero local demand for the service, so what I'm needing more of, is enough of an international contact base to ensure regular-enough workload. Corsica would be a close second, but there is the same 'problem' there as Antigua, zero local custom, whereby international reliable contacts are key to survival. So...following ze plan, and working on that atm ;)

I've lived there and it's OK, but not amazing. Good beaches, but a long way from anywhere interesting. It's bit like living in Legoland on the Moon, but with more shops.

The suburbs go on forever and they have embarrassing roadside signs which boast things like 'The Living is Great in Wanneroo!'.

The climate makes up for a lot, though...

I remember watching a programme many years ago and they said that 'Perth has the climate California thinks it has.'

The city looked very clean and I think they said it was relatively crime free for a city of that size.

That programme has always stuck in my mind and I've always fancied giving Perth a go if I ever decided to leave these shores.

I guess it's a bit isolated though.....you can hardly jump in the car and arrive at the nearest big city in an hour. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

I quite fancy my own island, away from civilisation. Not sure where, but south pacific is looking attractive.

Given that my health isn't a foreseeable issue, I'd go for that too but that's more wishful than anything.

I've no wish to move, I'm comfortable here in Ranmoor, pretty, quiet and a stones throw from the Peak District.

Somewhere hot, near the sea.

Sellafield?

---------- Post added 13-09-2014 at 10:50 ----------

I remember watching a programme many years ago and they said that 'Perth has the climate California thinks it has.'

I read something that said Perth has the highest rate of skin cancer in the western world because of the climate.