GATE PRICES (review)

POUNDSWORTH

In light of the falling gates in S6, added to the regular complaints on gate prices being given as the main reason, will any of the local clubs be prepared to follow todays example set by Exeter City, who have reduced gate prices with immediate effect.

Based on the same three fixtures from last season [not taking into account,tv coverage,holidays] think its about 2k down:confused: So cant see why wednesday would feel the need to follow exeters example.

Based on the same three fixtures from last season [not taking into account,tv coverage,holidays] think its about 2k down:confused: So cant see why wednesday would feel the need to follow exeters example.

2000 ok, but consider too, you have had two of the biggest away followings in the league to in Derby and Forest.

My point being maybe other clubs should and could follow Exeters example, but who is brave enough?

2000 ok, but consider too, you have had two of the biggest away followings in the league to in Derby and Forest.

My point being maybe other clubs should and could follow Exeters example, but who is brave enough?

Thats why i based the comparision on the same fixtures.:)

This is one of those football issues that I just can't get my head around, why on earth do clubs prefer to play in half empty stadiums ?

Surely if they dropped the prices and got more bums on seats they would make more revenue with the usual add ons, programmes, pasty, drink, club shop etc etc and also create a better match day atmosphere ?

Wednesday's average attendance has been up and down for a long time.

This is the last ten full seasons:

2004–05 League 1 5th 23,107

2005–06 Champ 19th 24,853

2006–07 Champ 9th 23,638

2007–08 Champ 16th 21,418

2008–09 Champ 12th 21,541

2009–10 Champ 22nd 23,179

2010–11 League 1 15th 17,817

2011–12 League 1 2nd 21,336

2012–13 Champ 18th 24,078

2013–14 Champ 16th 21,278

I would say that is about 5K down on average from the Premier League days a decade more ago.

What what the question here is why attendances fluctuate so much from season to season. I think the drop to 17K in our 2010/11 season is down to the massive disappointment of that relegation on the last day I would think. The jump to 24 in 2012/13 was remarkable but probably the result of a lot of good will due to pipping SUFC.

This season is a weird one though, I believe we got a bump in season tickets due to the solid ending of the season, but I think a lot of folks have been thoroughly disappointed due to the HM ****-up and the seeming lack of investment, whilst seeing the one guy that was worth watching last season be sold. If we can keep results going so we stay in the top half I think that casual fans will return to get us to the 21K mark.

That means, bizarrely in my opinion, that fans have been rather consistent despite the ticket-prices. Personally I would be a far more frequent visitor if prices were what I am used to, around the 20 euro mark (17£-ish) but that could be familiarity and preparedness to pay.

Wednesday's average attendance has been up and down for a long time.

This is the last ten full seasons:

2004–05 League 1 5th 23,107

2005–06 Champ 19th 24,853

2006–07 Champ 9th 23,638

2007–08 Champ 16th 21,418

2008–09 Champ 12th 21,541

2009–10 Champ 22nd 23,179

2010–11 League 1 15th 17,817

2011–12 League 1 2nd 21,336

2012–13 Champ 18th 24,078

2013–14 Champ 16th 21,278

I would say that is about 5K down on average from the Premier League days a decade more ago.

What what the question here is why attendances fluctuate so much from season to season. I think the drop to 17K in our 2010/11 season is down to the massive disappointment of that relegation on the last day I would think. The jump to 24 in 2012/13 was remarkable but probably the result of a lot of good will due to pipping SUFC.

This season is a weird one though, I believe we got a bump in season tickets due to the solid ending of the season, but I think a lot of folks have been thoroughly disappointed due to the HM ****-up and the seeming lack of investment, whilst seeing the one guy that was worth watching last season be sold. If we can keep results going so we stay in the top half I think that casual fans will return to get us to the 21K mark.

That means, bizarrely in my opinion, that fans have been rather consistent despite the ticket-prices. Personally I would be a far more frequent visitor if prices were what I am used to, around the 20 euro mark (17£-ish) but that could be familiarity and preparedness to pay.

A very reasoned post, i think the gates this season have been a suprise due to the fact the Owls have started so well.

Its the Owls fans that have brought up the gate fees as an excuse, i thought the off the pitch antics may have been a bigger factor.

The Owls as a club seem to be trying to address the issue with several price reductions/offers made available already this season.

But football clubs in general, may be watching the Exeter move with interest.

Archived