18 month old child, steri strips falling off wound

adzs6

Hi everyone just want some advice. My daughter split her head open yesterday afternoon we took her to childrens who put steri-strips on we asked for some spare ones as she is only 18 month old and I knew she would pick them off as she doesn't understand its to make her better. So I went to asda pharmacy and bought 3 little steri-strips for £1.31 but she has woke up this morning with no steri-strips on her wound me and my partner have put more on but I can't keep buying strips for the next 5 days does anybody have any ideas how to keep them on. TIA

I would advise against untrained persons applying steristrips as you might be encouraging more scar tissue if applied incorrectly. I would phone the Childrens hospital back for advice. If it's not oozing or bleeding still and has started healing, perhaps they will suggest leaving it. If they do want to apply more steri strips at the hospital, I'd advise tying mittens on to your daughter to avoid her pulling it off for the next few days (obviously not too tightly, and to keep checking them and for signs they might be too tight). This is just my personal opinion, I am not trained in any way in these things.

The title of this thread sounds like a horrific news headline or Chat magazine feature involving an 18-month old child having to steri-strip their own arm which is dangling off..

If it's not too far a journey I would do as you have said though - taker her back if it happens again. However if it looks to be healing it might be best 'letting air get to it', as I've always been taught :s

Archived