Do we still owe £1.3 Trillion?

Anna B

Am I missing something?

According to the OBR, (Office for Budget Responsibility,) Britain will be back in the black by 2018. It says 'Public finances will return to balance by 2018 - 19 producing the first surplus for 18 years.'

So what happened to the £1.3 Trillion pounds we owe, and as I understood it is still rising.

There's a difference between debt & deficit. They mean the government is predicted to stop running a yearly budget deficit (increasing the total debt every year) & could run a surplus in 2018. They'll still be in debt, but it should stop getting bigger in a few years.

But the coalition promised us that the deficit wwould be wiped out before the end of this parliament. More Tory Lies?

Am I missing something?

According to the OBR, (Office for Budget Responsibility,) Britain will be back in the black by 2018. It says 'Public finances will return to balance by 2018 - 19 producing the first surplus for 18 years.'

So what happened to the £1.3 Trillion pounds we owe, and as I understood it is still rising.

Thats what you get for electing a Labour government .

Thats what you get for electing a Labour government .

We have a Tory Government.

Since they were elected, national debt has increased by roughly £0.5 trillion.

Hurrah for the Tories.

There's a difference between debt & deficit. They mean the government is predicted to stop running a yearly budget deficit (increasing the total debt every year) & could run a surplus in 2018. They'll still be in debt, but it should stop getting bigger in a few years.

What will happen if Scotland Vote Yes? Will this affect paying off our debt?

What will happen if Scotland Vote Yes? Will this affect paying off our debt?

I think that Scotland will have to take some of the debt with them, unfortunately the SNP are saying that if the UK doesn't agree to a currency union with Scotland then they'd consider refusing to take their share of the debt.

We have had a national debt for a long time now. No party could possibly pay off the national debt in 5 years! It was running at 340bn (the highest it had ever been) in 1997 and was approaching 800bn 13 years later and is now over one trillion.

Having a spending deficit and not a surplus every year is just increasing the total debt. All any of the political parties can hope to do is try and reduce spending to create a surplus. We (the taxpayer) have had a few surplus years in the last 70 years, but not many.

Archived