Bloody Euro-Cookies!

Nagel

How do I get rid of them, permanently I mean?

I'm talking about those little pop-ups and messages that you get every time you visit a new site. I believe they are the result of some daft European initiative designed to protect our privacy, but in fact they're just an annoyance and an irritation.

So is there a way to permanently allow all cookies or a browser add-on that will do it for me?

Unfortunately whether you allow the cookies or not is not relevant to the websites' obligation to tell you that their site uses cookies. The new regulation is on the websites, and it's to make sure that you are aware that their site uses cookies.

You could stop pop ups, but I would estimate that this would only solve about 40-50% of the issue, because the floating banners, splash screens and the like wouldn't be stopped by a pop-up ban.

Yes, this wasn't the finest moment by my blue and gold friends.... in fact, I believe it was even a fellow Dutch woman responsible for this initiative. The awkward thing is, if you don't pay attention to it as a website nobody cares, it isn't policed at all.

Unfortunately whether you allow the cookies or not is not relevant to the websites' obligation to tell you that their site uses cookies. The new regulation is on the websites, and it's to make sure that you are aware that their site uses cookies.

You could stop pop ups, but I would estimate that this would only solve about 40-50% of the issue, because the floating banners, splash screens and the like wouldn't be stopped by a pop-up ban.

Well exactly. The problem is with the EU regulation, not the websites. I don't remember any of this being discussed before the regulation or law was brought in.

Hopefully more and more websites will ignore this stupid regulation and it will wither away and die a natural death. Actually, is it a regulation or is it a law?

Well exactly. The problem is with the EU regulation, not the websites. I don't remember any of this being discussed before the regulation or law was brought in.

in order to become law something needs to be discussed by the european commission, the eu parliament, the council of ministers and finally the national parliaments as it is them who enact things into law.

if you were not aware of this then maybe you should be directing your ire towards your westminster mp, your euro mp and the media for their lack of communication

in order to become law something needs to be discussed by the european commission, the eu parliament, the council of ministers and finally the national parliaments as it is them who enact things into law.

if you were not aware of this then maybe you should be directing your ire towards your westminster mp, your euro mp and the media for their lack of communication

Ah, someone who is knowledgeable about these things :)

Perhaps you can answer my question. Is the Euro-Cookie question there because it's law, or is it just a regulation with less legal backing.

And would that be criminal law?

Ah, someone who is knowledgeable about these things :)

Perhaps you can answer my question. Is the Euro-Cookie question there because it's law, or is it just a regulation with less legal backing.

And would that be criminal law?

If only there was a way to search the Internet for this kind of information.

Archived