David Haines & Alan Henning have been murdered.

A BBC interview with a shiite leaders opinion was that America comes with the face of a helper but with intentions of domination. Asked about the UK he said the UK is a slave to the US. With such scepticism no way should we be on the ground.

As for taking part in the coalition of air strikes in support of the muslim Iraqi government I think politicians have had to think hard and make hard decisions but the outcome is that they have not been hard enough and should not provided the limited air support.

I think that Alan Henning would have been murdered for another cause if not for this. Arming the area is not a solution either as training people to fight only creates new wars. The only way to hit IS is to target their funds, supplies, communications & leaders.

A BBC interview with a shiite leaders opinion was that America comes with the face of a helper but with intentions of domination. Asked about the UK he said the UK is a slave to the US. With such scepticism no way should we be on the ground.

As for taking part in the coalition of air strikes in support of the muslim Iraqi government I think politicians have to think hard and make hard decisions but the outcome is that they have not been hard enough and should not provided the limited air support.

I think that Alan Henning would have been murdered for another cause if not for this. Arming the area is not a solution either as training people to fight only creates new wars. The only way to hit IS is to target their funds, supplies, communications & leaders.

They had been thinking for quite a long time before the air strikes while IS were carrying out atrocities on innocent unnamed civilians, many of whom were being beheaded or crucified.

It wasn't until our own victims taken as hostages were targeted and brutally murdered, that they finally came to the conclusion that something finally had to be done to stop them.

Can I ask the mods to split these back up? Both are awful murders and deserve their own thread. And what happens when there is another and another? A megathread? I truly hope not.

In one sense I think you're right, and that was my initial reaction too when I found that people had started posting about Alan Henning on the David Haines thread. For that reason, I felt at least Alan's name should appear in the thread title, alongside David Haines, so, as the OP, I requested this to the moderating team.

On the other hand, I felt that having multiple threads about the idiotic acts of IS might give IS more 'cred' amongst any other idiot sympathisers but maybe that's just me being daft.

I'm happy to go along with what decent people think is right.

There is no comparison. What is happening in the Middle East is effectively civil war (unleashed by Western interference) and needs to play out. ISIS pose no risk to the rest of the world and our interference has been proven to achieve the opposite of the stated objectives i.e. it makes the lives of civilians in the region worse (except the ones we kill in the process), it increases extremism and makes us a target. What a stupid thing to do... again.

Our interference is already having the opposite effect to the intention as extremists begin to united and strengthen against the evil West. See here.

They do if they win.

They do if they win.

For once I agree with you. Zamo's attitude as usual comes down to his not wanting governments to spend any money on anything or anyone except rich white people. If ISIL actually set up a state in an oil-rich region it wouldn't be long until that state began to export its terror to Europe and the Americas.

..... they finally came to the conclusion that something finally had to be done to stop them.
A conclusion is different to a solution with the West looking easily provoked and lashing out with handbags. The point is it may be an even tougher decision for governments to say this is your fight.