Varsity Bar West St

lozchuckles

• 1 year later...
so varsity is set to become a lola lo bar from next year. I used to love varsity for a dirty meal and a few cheap beers. Lets hope that once Lola opens it enjoys great success! :thumbsup:

Ohhh no it won't!

http://www.iii.co.uk/research/LSE:BAR/news/item/1661667/final-results?context=LSE:BAR

"Given the risks associated with new developments, it has been decided not to refurbish the recently acquired Sheffield and Liverpool sites and to seek to dispose of them both over the next 12 to 24 months."

Hopefully they won't take too long about that, so we won't just be left with a vacant site and increasingly dirty hoarding on West St.

I heard the chain has got <REMOVED> up. The one in Huddersfield has been bought by Forum Cafe Bars - so that will be an improvement anyway!

Really? Where in the Hudd is that then. And they`re getting Blue Stoops too. Again shows that the right sort of model for a pub can still do well.

Really? Where in the Hudd is that then. And they`re getting Blue Stoops too. Again shows that the right sort of model for a pub can still do well.

If you know where the Lloyds (Wetherspoons) bar is in Hudds you're not far away. The road opposite, just past the Scream bar that looks remarkably like the Cavendish. There you go. It's called the Picture House.

Seems to be a new bar in Hudds opening quite regular. And yet Sheffield can't even let out the old Varsity or the Botanical on Ecclesall Rd. I do wonder why that is.

If you know where the Lloyds (Wetherspoons) bar is in Hudds you're not far away. The road opposite, just past the Scream bar that looks remarkably like the Cavendish. There you go. It's called the Picture House.

Seems to be a new bar in Hudds opening quite regular. And yet Sheffield can't even let out the old Varsity or the Botanical on Ecclesall Rd. I do wonder why that is.

Swim Inn may be in the same boat too, soon:

http://www.costar.co.uk/en/assets/news/2015/November/JD-Wetherspoon-calls-time-on-pub-portfolio/

Interesting. I'd like to say it would be a huge loss. It's definitely one of the weaker 'Spoons outlets in town, and it's not as though we are short of them. But given the aforementioned less than rapid take-up of other large premises in town I do fear it will remain one more empty lot for quite some time. And even a below-par 'Spoons is better than that!

Indeed, although it seems to be a lot quieter than the first few years it was open, probably because it's looking quite tired inside now and some of the other West St bars have smartened up a bit. There is also improved choice elsewhere.