Hadfields Steel works 1953 to 1964

Melsmama

Hi. I am looking for memories of anyone who worked at Hadfields or whose relatives worked at Hadfields Steel in the 50s and 60s. My father has recently passed away and we have discovered he had asbestosis/ induststrial lung disease. He worked at the firm between 53 and 63. Anyone have a similar story?

My dad worked at hadfields in the garage he passed away in 1992 with lung cancer.When he was first diagnosed with cancer he asked the doctors if it was anything to do with him working with asbestos which he came into contact with all the time but they would'nt say if that was the cause.When he worked at Hadfields they had to have an x ray every year and i remember him saying they found a shadow on his lung and said he must have had pneumonia at some stage my dad thought this might have been the cancer starting the hospital gave him one year to live and he lasted one year after suffering a great deal of pain.We heard later that a couple more men from out of the garage died of cancer too all my dad wanted to know before he died was could it have been working in those conditions with the asbestos that caused his cancer hope this helps you.

Archived