Accident Middlewood Road

Ducky1

Really sorry to hear about this and hope he is OK.

The tram routes are very tricky to cycle along but often unavoidable if you live along or close to one of them. If your wheel goes into them or if your wheel slips on them it takes the bike out from under you before you know what's happened.

So if you're driving along behind someone cycling along a tram route then please hang back a bit, especially in the vicinity of junctions, tram stops or parked cars where the cyclists may need to turn across the rails.

The guy who came of his bike this morning wasn't hit by a car his tyre got stuck

In the tram track causing him to come of his bike really harshly I was at the Scene and stayed until the paramedics arrived I have been in the touch with the hospital and the man is oki he's got a broken collar bone which he's waiting for an operation to mend this lucky no other injuries apart from been shuck up pretty badly

Unfortunately some bike riders use inappropriate wheels and tires. I use a mountain type bike and its wheels and tyres are too fat to get stuck in the tracks. Ive been flipped head over heals by getting my racer type wheel stuck in the tracks but now i have no problems at all. As we dont know exactly what happened im not saying thats the case here im just passing on my experience in the hope it helps someone.

Seriously, thin bike wheels + Tram tracks = short sharp trip to the floor.

Nice one for staying with him :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 08:53 ----------

Please wear a helmet especially the male cyclist on queens road bout 715 this morning.

Was he the one who almost got wiped out by a single decker outside B&Q?

Please wear a helmet especially the male cyclist on queens road bout 715 this morning.

There is conflicting evidence as to whether wearing a helmet is a benefit.

They provide limited protection in a limited number of situations. However, there is evidence that some motorists give helmeted cyclists less clearance than they do to helmetless cyclists, and may therefore be overcompensating for the perceived protection of a helmet by actually putting the cyclist in even more danger.

Also, the promotion of helmets gives the perception that cycling is particularly unsafe, so putting people off cycling. They then lose out on the greater benefits of the regular exercise that cycling provides.

Lots of links in here.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org

There is conflicting evidence as to whether wearing a helmet is a benefit.

They provide limited protection in a limited number of situations. However, there is evidence that some motorists give helmeted cyclists less clearance than they do to helmetless cyclists, and may therefore be overcompensating for the perceived protection of a helmet by actually putting the cyclist in even more danger.

Also, the promotion of helmets gives the perception that cycling is particularly unsafe, so putting people off cycling. They then lose out on the greater benefits of the regular exercise that cycling provides.

Lots of links in here.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org

Plus- every country that has introduced compulsory helmet laws for cyclists, has seen a rise in cycling injuries proportionate to the number of cyclists.

Generally considered to be a result of the fact that where helmet laws exist, less people cycle, and, less cyclists on the roads leads to more accidents (proportionate to the numbers of cyclists on the roads).

Helmet wear is a personal choice, and not wearing one in no way means a cyclist is being irresponsible or lax about their safety.

Plus- every country that has introduced compulsory helmet laws for cyclists, has seen a rise in cycling injuries proportionate to the number of cyclists.

Generally considered to be a result of the fact that where helmet laws exist, less people cycle, and, less cyclists on the roads leads to more accidents (proportionate to the numbers of cyclists on the roads).

Helmet wear is a personal choice, and not wearing one in no way means a cyclist is being irresponsible or lax about their safety.

Interesting

Have never cycled with a helmet but would consider wearing one in a place like Sheffield more important, than the other places I have cycled before.

When going down hill in Sheffield you can go fast enough to break your skull without effort. And there are too many dangerous pothole surprises specialy on side of the road.

If I would cycle here it be the most dangerous place I ever cycled, more dangerous than USA. At least there drivers respect pedestrians and cyclist as equal human beings.