Vouchers instead of change on Sheffield busses

phoppy1

If those deals work for you the great. The problem is that it narrows your options with multiple operators and that fragments the network.

Anyway... I too can't believe this thread is still going. Who'd have thought public transport could provoke such interest and passion!!!

You can also get weekly Citywide tickets valid on all operators for £17 if you need the flexibility.

Sorry but getting change is always possible,

This is one of my pet hates, if you know you are going to be travelling by bus how hard is it to makes sure you have change there are always shops, post offices that will quite gladly change your £10/£20 note, and usually bus stops are quite close to shops,

There was once a person waiting for the bus got on with a £20 pound note for his fair, bus driver told him he couldnt change it said person refused to leave the bus instead he caused an argument with the driver, short story there was a petrol forecourt by the side of the bus stop, he had every chance to make change but refused to,

end of the day i have zero tolerance to such behavior but you always get muppets thinking that there owed something in life

I have rarely read such a load of Carp. Not every bus stop is near a shop. Not every shop is open when finding that a bus journey is necessary. Not every shop would be willing to open a till to give someone change without a purchase and not everyone can afford to make a purchase just to get change. Neither does everyone deal in cash in the modern day. Most People use debit and credit cards for most transactions and how many cash machines do you know that give loose change.

Get off your high horse and walk the road that other people have trodden.

---------- Post added 25-09-2014 at 21:48 ----------

Which part of asking the bus driver what the fare in requires you to be a regular?

Which part of being a local requires you to have the common sense that you know you will need money and it helps if you have more or less the right fare rather than £50 notes?

Which party of not being a regular prevents you contacting or looking up on the internet the price of the journey before you go, if needs be?

Plenty of people manage no problem just like they did in the 40,s 50's, 60' 70's, 80's 90's.

Pathetic to say it discourages use, when its no different from the many decades past. If you cant organise yourself, then more fool you. Its nothing to do with knowledgeable locals. If I was traveling to any other city in the world id expect to have to pay and I would expect myself to have more or less the correct money, rather than large denomination notes, so I could buy a ticket. Never realised some of you were so challenged in the common sense department.

So when was the £50 note tendered?

Plenty of people in the 1940s to the 1990s did not live in a world of debit and credit cards or for that matter Oyster cards which are far from perfect. One pinched a tenner from me on a trip to London, by the time I got a reply to my complaint I had forgotten which card I had used as several tidal surges had passed under the bridge , so to speak. Traveling today is very different from decades past. But Sheffield busses are not yet fully equipped to cope with card payments or to preload payment cards. I am surprised that in our once famous for being friendly city no-one came to the poor passengers rescue with a bit of change. Perhaps it was because no-one had any.

I have rarely read such a load of Carp. Not every bus stop is near a shop. Not every shop is open when finding that a bus journey is necessary. Not every shop would be willing to open a till to give someone change without a purchase and not everyone can afford to make a purchase just to get change. Neither does everyone deal in cash in the modern day. Most People use debit and credit cards for most transactions and how many cash machines do you know that give loose change.

Get off your high horse and walk the road that other people have trodden.

If you know you are getting on a bus, then isnt it common sense to go with money rather than notes, because everone knows its faster if you have more or less the right money and that if you only have larger notes, then issuing change holdsthe bus up.

Why are people so challenged that they cant ensure they get hold of some change? If you have to go and buy a small value item. I dont believe buses have debit machines so if you wnat to use one then you need cash. The bus driver if they want can simply refuse to take you. The lack of change is your problem and not theirs. How much planning does it take to catch a bus?

Wrong again Tommo. It depends on the machine. the lowest note you cna get will depend on the lowest note machines are stocked with. Some machines give £5 notes out.

Really?? Where are these magical ATM's? ALL the ones I have used only give out 10 and 20 pound notes and indeed you can only take out money in multiples of 10

Really?? Where are these magical ATM's? ALL the ones I have used only give out 10 and 20 pound notes and indeed you can only take out money in multiples of 10

Halifax ones sometimes pay £5s out. I once got £100 all in £5 notes, although this morning the one I used only had £20s in.

Edited by Sheffvlad

Halifax ones sometimes pay £5s out. I once got £100 all in £5 notes.

Thanks. :)

So to sum up if I want to catch a bus, I must do it near a Halifax ATM, near a shop that is open and willing to give me enough loose change to cover any fare whatsoever and finally hope that the bus driver is patient enough to actually tell me what the fare is?

And they wonder why passenger numbers on buses is going down :huh:

No you can take money out based on what is in the machine, ive just used a Natwest one, RBS and Yorkshire bank which happened to have £5 notes in. I know you are special but perhaps when you get change you could put a bit aside for that rare chance when you catch a bus you can then take it with you. get a note from your mum or teacher telling them where you want to go. Everyone else seems to manage it, but the act of catching a bus seems to be especially challenging for you.