Vouchers instead of change on Sheffield busses

phoppy1

Bus drivers are given a £5 float when they start working with first, That £5 is to be returned when they leave employment.

Personally i refused the float, and carry £15 in change out of my own pocket (then i've nothing to pay back).

If people get on my bus with notes, and the change dwindles down to non, i physically cannot give change out, that's why we have been given the Credit Note option.

It's not my fault that my change goes, but the fault of passengers getting on with notes instead of change, that's a fact. My pet hate is when a passenger gets on with a £10 or a £20 note and gets angry when i don't have enough change for their £1 - £1.70 fare, especially when they board the bus outside a shop

I make no apologies about having no change, i carry what i feel is enough at the start of my shift, so i do my bit, i just wish passengers would do theirs and try to have somewhere near the right change.

It's ok saying that a £5 note shouldn't be a problem, but if a few get on with them, then the change still goes quickly, Just keep a couple of pound coins for your journey, it's not hard, i used to do it before i became a bus driver.

OOh 11 pages now

Edited by vizzbucks

Machines have been dishing out fivers for years, I used to regularly withdraw them in Leeds in 2002/3

Fair enough, insults from someone not too far away aside, I accept my mistake and cede the point

---------- Post added 26-09-2014 at 13:31 ----------

I just find it odd why poor old alchemist finds it such a challenge to get some change either by foresight and putting some aside or going to the shop and buying a small item that will yield change. Everyone else manages it, so why cant he?

Is your ego still fragile? Bring it on, unlike you, I can take it :)

Exactly

and if there isnt a shop near to your bus stop im sure if you where to take a 5 min walk in either direction you would find one or an atm, seems to me that most of the people in this thread are hell bent on not helping themselves or others.

Whilst you are in town this is possible but when you get out in the sticks it DOES get a tad more difficult :)

I just find it odd why poor old alchemist finds it such a challenge to get some change either by foresight and putting some aside or going to the shop and buying a small item that will yield change. Everyone else manages it, so why cant he?

Right then... so the irregular bus traveller, who like many people today wouldn't be carrying a pocket full of change (if any at all) around like the regulars, not only has to get a fiver/tenner from the ATM, but then find a shop and spend some of that money just to get on the bus with hopefully the correct change? So adding to the cost of that bus journey with the cost of this extra unwanted item they've had to purchase (if the shop isn't willing to give change, and why should they...bus drivers don't want to?).

Not exactly the way to attract people to use the buses instead of driving in future... the sooner they move in the modern day and have machines that can handle credit/debit cards, the better.

Right then... so the irregular bus traveller, who like many people today wouldn't be carrying a pocket full of change (if any at all) around like the regulars, not only has to get a fiver/tenner from the ATM, but then find a shop and spend some of that money just to get on the bus with hopefully the correct change? So adding to the cost of that bus journey with the cost of this extra unwanted item they've had to purchase (if the shop isn't willing to give change, and why should they...bus drivers don't want to?).

Not exactly the way to attract people to use the buses instead of driving in future... the sooner they move in the modern day and have machines that can handle credit/debit cards, the better.

Wow how ridiculous can you get?

Small children manage to catch the bus ok, but you and alchemist want to make a ridiculius meal of it.

Most people uses passes or single price tickets, but for the occasional traveler you will need some cash to pay for your fair duh.

You can get it from wherever you like, although you like to make a drama out of it.

If you catch a bus have some cash or your ticket prepaid, if you dont have any cash then dont bother getting on unless its an emergency, in which case give them your name and address. Try and have the right money or thereabouts because its considered rude to hold everyone else up because you were the only one who didnt have any foresight to get some change. The driver has a limited float, so on the rare occasions that gets exhausted you run the risk of getting a voucher that you will have to exchange. Your other option is to get off the bus and catch the next one.

How much money would I have set aside? About £2.50 if I just wanted a single, but as I normally like to come back, then any return journey is normally covered by a £3.80 daysaver if in Sheffield . Buses have operated for many decades just using cash.

If a child can manage to show a bit of foresight how come Sheffield forum members including yourself think its such a difficult task?

How many times have you caught the bus in the last 2 months?

How many single fates have you bought where you were not given change?

How many vouchers/ credit notes have you been issued with?

How many times have you caught the bus in the last 2 months?

How many single fates have you bought where you were not given change?

How many vouchers/ credit notes have you been issued with?

None to all of the above. And your point is??

Are the only ones allowed to have an opinion those who regularly catch buses, use single fares and get lots of vouchers?

Wrong again Tommo. It depends on the machine. the lowest note you cna get will depend on the lowest note machines are stocked with. Some machines give £5 notes out.

When I left branch banking in 1997 almost all ATMs had been converted to issue only £10 and £20 notes. Ours had been one of the last to issue fivers.

I understand a very few machines may have been reprogrammed to issue £5 notes once again to help ease the shortage of such notes. However, issuing £5 notes reduces the physical capacity of the machine as more notes need more space to issue the same value of cash. Consequently banks and other operators aren't too keen on offering them. In theory most bank ATMs could probably offer £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes. In practice £5s take too much space, and £50s aren't required, so it's £10s and £20s as standard. (30 years ago ATMs issued £1 notes!)

When I left branch banking in 1997 almost all ATMs had been converted to issue only £10 and £20 notes. Ours had been one of the last to issue fivers.

I understand a very few machines may have been reprogrammed to issue £5 notes once again to help ease the shortage of such notes. However, issuing £5 notes reduces the physical capacity of the machine as more notes need more space to issue the same value of cash. Consequently banks and other operators aren't too keen on offering them. In theory most bank ATMs could probably offer £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes. In practice £5s take too much space, and £50s aren't required, so it's £10s and £20s as standard. (30 years ago ATMs issued £1 notes!)

Yes but even if they do issue £5.00 notes that doesnt solve the problem. As the bus drivers will turn their nose up at £5.00 notes too. I paid a couple of times with one (given the fare is probably about £1.60) and he looked at me as if I had murdered a kitten

Some HSBC machines contain £5 notes.