Vouchers instead of change on Sheffield busses

phoppy1

I haven't read the whole thread but the phrase "exact fare" keeps cropping up, and the argument put forward that you can't make sure you have the exact fare if you don't know what it is, when others suggest being more organised in advance. Well, surely a bit of common sense applies. It's reasonable not to give the exact fare if, say, the fare is £1.20 and you offer £2.

I think the oyster card is a wonderful system. I agree they should have it here as well. It would solve a lot of problems.

The Oyster system is great and you can now use a contactless payment card instead of an Oyster. Makes things up here asking the driver the fare and faffing around with change seem almost prehistoric.

The Oyster system is great and you can now use a contactless payment card instead of an Oyster. Makes things up here asking the driver the fare and faffing around with change seem almost prehistoric.

Be interesting to see if it improves bus times? However I wont hold my breath as I have seen pensioners have a right faff getting their card to swipe. Havent a clue why they are needing to swipe anyway.

That's my experience too down there.

London buses are now completely cashless.

The sooner they bring it in here the better.

Will speed up journey times no end.

As you say the amount of time wasted with people faffing around with fare is ridiculous.

Just need to ensure the infrastructure is there to support it.

Be interesting to see if it improves bus times? However I wont hold my breath as I have seen pensioners have a right faff getting their card to swipe. Havent a clue why they are needing to swipe anyway.

A Smartcard could be loaded with:

credit (touch in then touch out)

day, week, month or annual

ENCTS cards

train

etc

It would not be a separate card and you would touch in as you do now.

You need to swipe in so that the Council knows to pay the bus company.

A Smartcard could be loaded with:

credit (touch in then touch out)

day, week, month or annual

ENCTS cards

train

etc

It would not be a separate card and you would touch in as you do now.

You need to swipe in so that the Council knows to pay the bus company.

Don't get excited.

A lot of Sheffield busses cannot even read a disability card (properly).

Bus drivers are given a £5 float when they start working with first, That £5 is to be returned when they leave employment.

Personally i refused the float, and carry £15 in change out of my own pocket (then i've nothing to pay back).

If people get on my bus with notes, and the change dwindles down to non, i physically cannot give change out, that's why we have been given the Credit Note option.

It's not my fault that my change goes, but the fault of passengers getting on with notes instead of change, that's a fact. My pet hate is when a passenger gets on with a £10 or a £20 note and gets angry when i don't have enough change for their £1 - £1.70 fare, especially when they board the bus outside a shop

I make no apologies about having no change, i carry what i feel is enough at the start of my shift, so i do my bit, i just wish passengers would do theirs and try to have somewhere near the right change.

It's ok saying that a £5 note shouldn't be a problem, but if a few get on with them, then the change still goes quickly, Just keep a couple of pound coins for your journey, it's not hard, i used to do it before i became a bus driver.

OOh 11 pages now

In London passengers like this would be in for a culture shock no doubt about that.

You can redeam this at the first office at bus station in town, it's been inforce at least 10 months now! Its not a case of not giving change, drivers have afloat of 5pound, meant to be used for giving 30p or 20p change for a 1.70 fare, someone gets on early in the morning with 10 and you don't have enough change they used to get on for free. People started taking the pees and so the companies racted with credit vouchers. If the driver had change he would have given it you as it's a pain for the next driver who takes it back (trust me used to be a bus driver for first)

---------- Post added 03-02-2015 at 12:48 ----------

People forget that you can buy single journeys on London busses in cash from machines on the street pre boarding, they also don't offer change. However with this governments unfair investment policy, the infrastructure required is easily afforded, up here the PTE have had to make massive cuts, no progress for years to come (although the 12 billion pound tunnel from one side of London to another...... obviously a great investment!) that much would revolutionise all travel outside London but is spent on one single upgrade!